Unanswered: Different format of dates

should I maintain dates in Julian date mode (yyyyddd format), where yyyy is the year and ddd is the day of the year (1-365 or 366 in leap years). Some systems people prefer the standard mm/dd/yyyy format. What is the advantage n disadvantage of using Julian date

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by mustish1 View Post
    should I maintain dates in Julian date mode (yyyyddd format), where yyyy is the year and ddd is the day of the year (1-365 or 366 in leap years). Some systems people prefer the standard mm/dd/yyyy format. What is the advantage n disadvantage of using Julian date
    Why in the world would you want to?

I'm going to guess that the statement "Some systems people prefer the standard mm/dd/yyyy format" should read "All systems people prefer the standard mm/dd/yyyy format!"

Using mm/dd/yyyy is, in my opinion, best practice for the simple reason that this is how the Access Gnomes expect dates to be entered. Using any other format generally requires a lot of song and dance to make even simple things involving dates happen correctly. Simply using the British format of dd/mm/yyyy necessitates special handling!

BTW, the format yyyyddd would not render year and day of the year. The ddd returns the first three characters of the name of the day of the week!

The character to return the numerical day of the year is a simple 'y,' so for your purpose you would need 'yyyyy.' But once again, I ask, why would you want to do this?

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 09-10-12 at 01:12.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    I'm going to guess that the statement "Some systems people prefer the standard mm/dd/yyyy format" should read "All systems people prefer the standard mm/dd/yyyy format!"
    nonsense and poppycock

mm/dd/yyyy is ~not~ a standard

the standard is yyyy-mm-dd

but thanks for playing, make sure you pick up your consolation prize on the way out

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 2
    In answer to the OP, I would not maintain a table in Julian data format, unless it were for a specific purpose (for example, the factory sites of my employer use Julian dates to compose lot numbers). Even then, I would prefer to create a view over a date table that generated the Julian version of each date.

And I side with r937 on the standard date format! :P
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Provided Answers: 59
    he Access / JET standard for dates is expressed as a real number
    the integr portion is the nuber fo days since an arbitary point in time (IIRC 31/12/1899), the decimal part is the time expressed as a proportion of the day, eg .5 = 12:00, .75 = 18:00 and so on

when it comes to displaying the the date to humans you can use what ever format you like. and yes the only true (IE global) Standard is the ISO date format YYYY/MM/DD
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton