Unanswered: Parallel DB restore

I have a small problem I do not know how to solve.

It's to restore lots of Sybase DBs, efficiently, in parallel.

The basic flow is this.

1. Dump a DB.
    2. Transmit the dump file to the cloud
    3. Restore the dump file 20 times to 20 dbs, on the cloud.

The last part needs to be fast. Currently, on local hardware, the restore takes 30 mins with 5 restores running in parallel. I would like to preserve that if possible, or make it faster.

DBs don't need to be active whilst the restore is happening.

So for an example, is it possible to restore one copy. Stop it. Copy the DB files 20 times on the file system, then restart 20 dbs? The copies may be quicker than a restore? However I'm not sure if the DB name is in the backup file.

Any ideas?

Provided Answers: 4
    You can copy the dumpfiles and rename them (i.e. dump01, dump02, dump3, etc).
    Then you can load 20 db's in parallel (load db01 from '<path>\dump01.dmp', load db02 from '<path>\dump02.dmp', etc).

I do not know if your backupserver can handle this much loads at once (providing all 20 db's are in 1 instance with 1 backupserver).

Have you tried loading 20 db's from 1 or 2 files to see how long it takes? Maybe it works just fine.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

OK. That's going to be my first try. Interesting that you can copy the dumpfiles. The implication must be that the DB name isn't in the file.

On reflection, that makes sense.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 4
    Only the distribution of data- and logsegments on devices is in the dumpfile. you can change the rest. you could load a dump called dghr4g3.blah in a database called FinanceProduction for instance .

Quote Originally Posted by nleaton View Post
    OK. That's going to be my first try. Interesting that you can copy the dumpfiles. The implication must be that the DB name isn't in the file.

On reflection, that makes sense.

Thanks
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!