Thread: Db2expln

Unanswered: Db2expln

Can you please let me know if this can be run anywhere on mainframe. I came across this command being run on unix servers. Can this be run on mainframe.

Thanks,

you can always use spufi to execute the explain and then display the plan table.
    the db2 reference for your version of db2 will contain a section on how to create your own plan table(s).
    Dick Brenholtz, Ami in Deutschland

Thank you for your reply. I am new to mainframe. I created a dataset member which has the explain command. I also created a output dataset. I then tried using SPUFI to run the dataset but it shows error message "data set not cataloged". I tried filling the volume serial but the same error comes back. Do you have any idea how I could get rid of this error or is there any other panel where I could execute the explain command without creating the dataset. Thanks,

when you get the message, PF1 will provide you with the name that the system
    is looking for, and you can compare that with the name that you provided.

more than likely, being new to mainframes,
    you do not understand the conventions used to provide file name input,
    and the concept of file prefix.

try putting the file name in single quotes.
    Dick Brenholtz, Ami in Deutschland

Thanks that worked.

The "EXPLAIN" creates records in the PLAN_TABLE. Is there any utility or tool that reads this records from PLAN_TABLE and generates a readable text output like the "db2expln". Thanks,