Unanswered: Log shipping to remote site with FTP?

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm I missing something or does the log shipping wizard really not have an option for sending the transaction logs to a server outside my network? Is that something you have to do yourself with SSIS or a third party app?

Just curious, but why do you want to send transaction logs outside your network?

Thanks for responding.

My immediate need is to update a reporting database that supplies data for a web site. Once upon a time we hosted the site ourselves but then everyone complained that our outbound internet was too slow on the big reporting days when web site usage spiked. The cost to get "a bigger pipe" was significantly higher than to move the site to a web hosting company.

If this works, I'm thinking it might be a good "warm backup" for disaster recovery. If the building burned down this might give me a faster recovery than ordering the backups from offsite storage, rebuilding the server, and restoring from tape. I wonder how long it would take me to lay hands on the same model tape drive. I should keep one of those at home or at iron mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip A. Greer View Post

If this works, I'm thinking it might be a good "warm backup" for disaster recovery. If the building burned down this might give me a faster recovery than ordering the backups from offsite storage, rebuilding the server, and restoring from tape. I wonder how long it would take me to lay hands on the same model tape drive. I should keep one of those at home or at iron mtn.
    The warm backup recovery model is well established. I believe you would need to transfer the file because log shipping will be within the domain. I haven't encountered another process which would allow the log to be shipped outside the active domain. I could be wrong, and someone else may have done this before. Interesting approach. Let us know how it works.