Question Unanswered: Max Number of Expressions in ORDER BY

I haven't been on the forum in a while but I have stumbled across a new issue and could use some help.

I have some VB code that I use to programatically create a string of SQL for an INSERT INTO query. I know that there are no issues with the code or basic structure of the SQL statement as this has functioned many times in the past without issue.

However, I am now being asked to perform this same analysis on a bigger data set and this is leading to a problem. I am receiving error 3088 with the text "too many expressions in ORDER BY clause - jetter40.chm". This does make sense as I would be asking for the ORDER BY clause to include about 167 expressions. In the past I have only had to use about 30-40 expressions. Through some testing it seems that this error occurs somewhere around 100 expressions in the ORDER BY clause but I can't find much reference to this type of issue through google searches.

Has anyone run into a way around this before? I am open to accomplishing the ORDER BY clause programatically if this is something Access SQL just can't handle but I haven't been able to wrap my head around it so far.

Also, I am using MS Access 2010 but the underlying data tables are stored in Access 2000 file formats.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you need to break up the query into peices. Perhaps run the query with half of the expressions and use that to make a new table or fill in one, then finish the job using the new table.