Unanswered: Access Form to Feed into Quickbooks w QODBC

I am trying to figure out what I need to do to be able to enter data into an Access form and have it automatically fed into QuickBooks.

We are a wholesale company and the only data we really need to feed into QB is the orders.

I called QODBC and their answer was very confusing.
    My question is, do I have to do anything else besides installing the driver and connecting my QB file with Access.

What I want is for data entry staff not to have access to quickbooks data and a simple form in which we can enter orders. I will also use Access to run reports and queries based on order data.

I really appreciate any help.

Provided Answers: 14
    I would not take the risk of directly injecting data in the database of a proprietary software. The risks of messing up are big if you don't precisely know the organization and internal structures (relationships, etc...) of such a database.

I don't know how it works with QuickBooks, but usually vendors of such programs provide an ODBC driver (or another data interface library: ActiveX, etc...) that only allows to extract data from the database.

QuickBooks includes functionalities for importing data from an Excel worksheet. I would explore this path and use Automation in Access to create and fill such a worksheet, then import it into QuickBook. Otherwise, they probably have a help desk that should be able to help you.
    Have a nice day!

hi anna

qodbc can allow you to quickly and easily use SQL commands to add batches of data to your QuickBooks file with the use of commonly available tools like MS Access and .Net.

> I called QODBC and their answer was very confusing.

who did you speak to please? our product is a tool for programmers and advanced users and is not an end-user batch upload tool, so you would need to organize and program our tool to upload your data. There is also a tool called QIntegrator which supports batch upload, it comes with a level of import support that may help move you forward faster, whatever works for you.

> My question is, do I have to do anything else besides installing the driver and connecting my QB file with Access.

yes you would need to write a program to import the transactions to QuickBooks as they are entered or in batch mode.

> What I want is for data entry staff not to have access to quickbooks data and a simple form in which we can enter orders. I will also use Access to run reports and queries based on order data.

yes, it sounds more like you need a special form built in MS Access, our tool will let you or your IT staff build this with maximum speed.

to Sinndho:

> I would not take the risk of directly injecting data in the database of a proprietary software. The risks of messing up are big if you don't precisely know the organization and internal structures (relationships, etc...) of such a database.

sorry but this is not possible with QODBC as we are an ODBC driver which uses the QuickBooks SDK, and it does a pre-check on all transactions for integrity before allowing it to process against the database. It's not the fastest process in the world but it is guaranteed not to damage the database in any way because the SDK processes data in the same way as it does for manual entry.

thanks!

brad
    qodbc.com

Thank you very much for your responses. I have a transaction importer that i purchased in the past it is called "Transaction Pro Importer 3.0" and I also have the Exporter. Any idea if this would be compatible?

Thanks

i'd suggest contacting the people who made transaction importer, that may work for what you need but may need updating to the latest version.

Their website says it is compatible w ODBC databases.. I will find out. Thanks!