Question Unanswered: dropping check constraint

Hi everybody,

I am very new to DB2 and would like to ask about the impact of dropping and recreating a check constraint.

I have a table column which only allows certain values enforced by the check constraint. I want to add another value to that constraint. According to the alter table check constraint syntax on IBM website I cannot find a way on altering the constraint without dropping and recreating it with the additional check value.

I have noticed that rebinds will be necessary since certain packages will become invalid. Also there is a Foreign Key and Index on that column. Will this have any effect on the integrity of the database? What is the impact on dropping and creating the constraint? Will the table/database become in some sort of check pending state?

Thank you very much for your time and help
    Regards

Para
    DB2 9.7 on AIX 6.1

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    What is the impact on dropping and creating the constraint? Will the table/database become in some sort of check pending state?
    The behaviour is clearly explained in the manual.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Suggest you try it in a completely test environment and observe the behaviour.

If somethbing happens that you do not understand, post what you tried and what happened. Someone should be able to clarify.

the original table checked the column TESTCOLUMN for values A,B,C
    ALTER TABLE TEST.TESTTABLE add constraint TESTCHKC
    check ( TESTCOLUMN ('A', 'B', 'C') ) ;
    now I wanted it to additionally check for 'D', so what I did was
    altering the existing table to drop the check constraint

db2 alter table TEST.TESTTABLE drop check TESTCHKC;
    meanwhile the column would allow all kinds of values. So I hurried with adding the constraint again:

ALTER TABLE TEST.TESTTABLE add constraint TESTCHKC
    check ( TESTCOLUMN ('A', 'B', 'C', 'D') ) ;
    I have checked the database for anything in pending status but luckily didnt find anything. The only thing which had to be done was rebinding invalid packages. Any Foreign keys or indexes on that testcolumn seem not to be affected, also the parent tables. But what if during the drop and create some different values like E,G etc... were inserted? According to the manuel the creation of check constraint will fail, how can I prevent or handle this issue?

edit:

Ok for those interested in what I found regarding the above mentioned problem, the following steps can prevent insertion into the table so that creation of the check constraint will fail:

-create exception tables
    -set integrity off for that table to bring it into check pending state
    -drop the check constraint
    -create check constraint
    -rebind the invalid packages
    -run set integrity to bring tables out of check pending state
    Last edited by paramedic; 09-24-12 at 06:43.

Thanks for posting what you learned