Unanswered: How do I log in to the database which are password to the database

How to do it? Is the password must be stored in a different location than the base to be able to get to the base? Are passwords are stored in the program connects to the database? What are the methods of logging to the database?

I am not quite sure what you are looking for here? Are you asking how to connect to the database? There are 2 ways this could be done, if you have written a client server application, the user can provide both the username and the password during their login and if the login succeeds they are in. The alternative is to store in a file a username/password which is used to access the database. This connection will be used to validate the username/password that the user has typed in and is also responsible for all the application security.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by it-iss.com View Post
    I am not quite sure what you are looking for here? Are you asking how to connect to the database? There are 2 ways this could be done, if you have written a client server application, the user can provide both the username and the password during their login and if the login succeeds they are in. The alternative is to store in a file a username/password which is used to access the database. This connection will be used to validate the username/password that the user has typed in and is also responsible for all the application security.
    Yes, how to connect to database. I should conclude that the passwords and usernames must be stored outside the database to which user log on. So there is no technical possibility to compare input passwords with passwords stored in database before users log on to the database. As a user loged to database, I add a new user and I give it a name and a password and that information I need to keep out of the same database to verify the credentials entered. Is not no rather other way?

Is your application web based? If it is web based then you need to have a single username and password hardcoded into a text file or PHP file. You use this username and password to always connect to the database. Once you have connected, you compare the username and password provided from your application against those in a users table that has been created as part of your application. You never connect to the database with this username and password. This means that you have to write into your application the security of the system. That is to say what they are permitted to access and what they are not is limited through the application and not the connected users security settings.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter