Unanswered: SQL Multiple Joins + Subquery

Hello,

I searched already through the web and the forum but could not find a solution for my issue. The issue is I have a query with several left and inner joins and I want to limit one of the joins with a subselect. But obviously this is not working. Here is the pseydocode of my query:

Code:
    select * from FROM (((Table1 INNER JOIN Table2 ON Table1.Field1 = Table2.Field1
    and Table2.Field2='01' and Table2.Field3=1) LEFT JOIN Table3 ON Table1.Field4 = Table3.Field4
    and Table3.Field5<=CURRENT DATE AND Table3.Field6>CURRENT DATE and
    Table3.Field7 = (select max(Field7) from Table4 where Table4.Field4 = Table1.Field4 AND
    Table4.Field5<=CURRENT DATE AND Table4.Field6>CURRENT DATE and Table4.Field7 in ('01','02','35')))
    LEFT JOIN Table5 ON Table3.Field8= Table5.Field1 and Table5.Field2='PE')
    Error message im am getting is: SQL0338N An on clause associated with a join operator or in a merge statement is not valid.

But how can I limit one of my left joins with a bit more complex condition (as the subselect really seems to fail.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Provided Answers: 5
    You need to format your code so it is easier to read. That is just a jumble and no one will give you much help. Also supply your DB2 version and OS.

Andy

Hello,

Sorry for that, here now again the query (not in pseydocode any more) in a more formated way (I have no tool to format it, hope it is better now)

Code:
    Select Employeegroup.* 
    FROM
    (
     (
      ( SRS.Employeegroup AS Employeegroup INNER JOIN SRS.Employeedetail AS Employeedetail
        ON Employeegroup.ID = Employeedetail.ID 
        and Employeedetail.ENTITYTYPE='01' and Employeedetail.ENTITYTYPSEQ=1)
      LEFT JOIN SRS.Address AS Address ON Employeegroup.PRKEY = Address.PRKEY
      and Address.DEFF<=CURRENT DATE AND Address.STOPDATE>CURRENT DATE
      and Address.ADCD =
            (select max(ADCD) from SRS.Address as Address2 where Address2.PRKEY = Employeegroup.PRKEY
            AND Address2.DEFF<=CURRENT DATE AND Address2.STOPDATE>CURRENT DATE
            and Address2.ADCD in ('01','02','35')))
    LEFT JOIN SRS.Lookuptable as Lookuptable_COUNTRY ON Address.ADDR_CNTRY = Lookuptable_COUNTRY.CODE
    and Lookuptable_COUNTRY.GROUPCODE='PE')
    The issue is as said the subquery with the select max()... thing, as since I entered this one, I get the below mentioned error.

Reason why I need to enter it is because an Employeegroup can have more that one valid address (a mailing address, a registered address, and addtional mailing address, etc) and I want to show the valid one with the highest ADCD (internal number field in the database) value.

Systeminfo:
    Database server = DB2/NT64 9.5.8

Thanks,
    Martin

Provided Answers: 1
    You cannot use subselect in a join condition, I don't think. Instead, join ADDRESS with that subselect, something like:
    Code:
    LEFT JOIN SRS.Address AS Address 
       ON Employeegroup.PRKEY = Address.PRKEY
    inner join (
       select 
          Address2.PRKEY,
          max(ADCD) 
       from SRS.Address as Address2 
       where 
            Address2.DEFF<=CURRENT DATE AND Address2.STOPDATE>CURRENT DATE
            and Address2.ADCD in ('01','02','35')
       group by Address2.PRKEY
    ) address_max
       on 
          Address.PRKEY = Address_max.PRKEY
    I'm not sure I understand the semantics of your data correctly, but I hope you get the idea.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Thanks very much! This works as expected.

Perfect