Unanswered: Moving db between access versions

We have a legacy db that was on an XP-Access2003 machine. The machine was replaced without installing Access. They got Access2007 and installed it and the vba modules started having problems.
    As the original developer, I brought the mdb back to my XP-Access2003 machine where it was first developed. The first problem was fixed by updating the vba references to include DAO3.6. Now the Left() function in vba isn't recognized. Searching the forum, I found a similar problem and opened a new module and got a message that OFFOWC.dll was missing. I OK'd past that and followed the solution that I found in the search by refreshing the references. I noticed the refs showed Microsoft Office XP Web Components as missing, (it wasn't previously). Any ideas why this ref would suddenly be missing, and do I really need it? I've opened another 2003-based db on my machine and it doesn't even show that reference.
    Thanks,
    Pete
    PGT

Pete,

I can only tell you what my current Reference settings are. I use Access XP on a Windows XP Home OS. You might want to check that your references are at least on the level of my program. Here are the References I use, in their exact order:

Visual Basic for Applications (no rev)
    Microsoft Access 11.0 Object Library
    Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
    Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5 Library
    Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility 5.3
    OLE Automation
    Microsoft Office Web Components 11.0

The solution was simply to remove the reference that was missing. With the reference to "Microsoft Office Web Components" checked and missing, string commands like LEFT were not understood in the module. Apparently the missing OFFOWC.dll was not needed and was interfering. With it gone, everything seems to work. I'll do more testing but it looks good now.
    Thanks
    PGT

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Townsend View Post

...the refs showed Microsoft Office XP Web Components as missing, (it wasn't previously). Any ideas why this ref would suddenly be missing, and do I really need it?
    Per this site

Download: Office XP Tool: Web Components - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

'Microsoft Office Web Components are a collection of Component Object Model (COM) controls for publishing spreadsheets, charts, and databases to the Web... and for viewing the published components on the Web.'

So my guess would be that no, you don't need it, unless your app does this kind of thing. Since you're dealing with moving 2003 apps up to 2007, you might want to have a look at Allen Browne's comprehensive article on the subject:

Microsoft Access tips: Converting to Access 2007

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks for the link to Allen Browns site. I read the article and bookmarked the site for further research.
    I'm still at the point of being totally frustrated by the new ribbon and will use 2003 until I steel myself for the shock. From my own point of view they could have added all the new features without complicating the menu system, but what do I know.
    PGT

Provided Answers: 19
    I made the switch four months ago, and I totally agree with you! After almost twenty years of using Access, 'muscle memory' kept me from even having to think about where I needed to go to find a feature or create an object!

A year or so after Version 2007 came out, the aforementioned Allen Browne (who was still not using 2007 for production work) estimated that the learning curve for 2007 was about 2-3 times longer for an experienced Access developer than it was for a total neophyte, because of having to 'unlearn' almost everything!

Everybody has different needs, development-wise, and I guess to some developers find the new versions wonderful, but to me the 'improvements' gained simply weren't worth the 'pain!' The upgrade has to be made, sooner or later, because of support issues, for Access itself, and issues relating to useability between given OS versions and Access versions.

Here’s another link for a Microsoft site that has a couple of things for making the switch up to the 2007/2010 and the Ribbon. One is an interactive guide showing 'where they used to be' and 'where they are on the Ribbon!' The other is a "complete searchable list of command equivalents."

http://office.microsoft.com/en us/access/HA102388991033.aspx

I haven't had time to really look thru either of these, so can't rate them, but probably worth the effort to download them and keep them for later use.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

and yet A2010 seems rather more tractable than A2007.

i still do not like either ribbons, or the F11 database window.