Question Unanswered: Access 2003 intermittant subform loading problem

I have built a database for a client (Access 2003). One record has many clients and one client has many records. So 3 tables. Record, Client, record-client.

My main form has the client information and it is a data entry form. The subform has the record-client/client information from a query. parent/child relationship on the recordid.

The tables are in a back end and forms in a front-end.

Most of the time all works well. However it intermittantly doesn't show the subform I've checked record locks and there are no locks.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution please?

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by tcstrainer View Post

...My main form has the client information and it is a data entry form. The subform has the record-client/client information from a query
    The Main Form is for data entry, does the Subform also allow data entry or is it Read-Only?

...it intermittantly doesn't show the subform
    Does this mean that no Records appear, that a Record appears but is empty, or that the Record appears but the Controls (i.e. Texboxes, Comboboxes, etc.) do not appear on the Record, not even as empty Controls?

If you open the Query the Subform is based on, independently of the Form, can you edit a Record?

...The tables are in a back end and forms in a front-end...
    Is this being used in a Multi-User environment? If so, does each user have a copy of the Front End on his/her hard drive , or do they share a Front End on shared drive?

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 09-24-12 at 15:42.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Hi,
    The subform is not data entry and has full permissions (allows edits, deletions, admissions) as they choose a client from a combo box.
    No controls or anything appear on the subform, its just a grey area with nothing on it.
    It is in use in a multi-user environment and each user has their own copy of the database on their desktop and the back end is on the server in a shared location with full rights.
    Thank you for any help you can offer.

Provided Answers: 19

...My main form ...is a data entry form.
    Are you saying that the Main Form is used for data entry, i.e. 'entering data,' or are you saying that the Data Entry Property is set to Yes?

If the latter is true, i.e. the Form's Data Entry Property is set to Yes, the Form can only be used to add New Records; you cannot view/edit existing Records. And in twenty some years of programming I have never heard of such a Form having a Subform!

...No controls or anything appear on the subform, its just a grey area with nothing on it.
    Controls don't appear in Form View when three conditions exist at the same time:

• The Form is Bound to a Table or Query
    • There are No Records in the underlying Recordset
    • The Form cannot have New Records added

The reasons that a Bound Form cannot have New Records added include:

1. AllowAdditions for the Form is set to No
    2. The underlying Query the Form is based on is Read Only
    3. User doesn't have Read and/or Write Permission for the Folder where the Data resides.
    4. Folder the File resides in (in versions 2007/2010) not having been declared as 'Trusted'
    5. Form's Recordset Type is set to Snapshot
    6. All Controls on the Form being Locked or Locked and Disabled.

To see if #2 is the case, from the Objects Dialog Box or the Navigation Pane, go to Queries and click on the Query that your Form is based on to open it. Now try to enter a New Record directly into the Query. If you're unable to do so, this is the cause of your problem.

If your Query is Read Only, follow this link to Allen Browne’s article explaining the reasons this happens.

Microsoft Access tips: Why is my query read-only?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Hi Linq, Thanks for your reply.
    The form is data entry as its for adding new reports only. One report can have one or more clients which is why there is a sub-form. Is there another way to assign many clients to one record?

I've checked and the subform does have a query behind it. It isn't data entry, although the main form is. Have checked the criteria below for the subform and all is ok. Back end, users have full permissions. AllowAdditions is set to yes. The underlying query isn't read only. The recordset isn't set to snapshot.

All Controls on the Form being Locked or Locked and Disable - not sure what this bit means?

I'm really stuck why this might be happening.. is it a problem putting a subform onto a data entry form then?

Thanks for all your support.