Unanswered: Database design/relationships

I am currently designing a small database, it requires:

A purchase order has a product order number(PK)

A puchase order can have multiple items (need to store price, quantity, description and have an id)

Each purchase order has a supplier (who supplies the products)

A order has a supplier (supplies the items), which has a contact team member (a supplier can have multiple contact team members but will only assign 1 to an order).

Here are the tables I have so far:

Purchase order
    PurchaseOrderNumber (PK)
    date
    payment method
    supplierid (FK)
    supplier contact id (FK)

ItemOrder
    Itemno (PK)
    PurchaseOrderNumber(FK)
    ITemQuantity
    ItemDesc
    ItemUnitCost

TblSupllier
    SupplierID (PK)
    SupplierName
    SupplierDiscount

TblSupplierContact
    SuppliercontactID (PK)
    SupplierId (FK)
    SuppliercontactFirstname
    SuppliercontactSurname

Do any other tables need adding? One problem I think I might have is when adding an item,
    it will create a new purchase order number, when I want to be able to have multiple items in one order.

Any help is much appriciated.

Provided Answers: 2
    You need an item table, which will hold item-specific data. The item/order table then just holds the ID of the items that it's ordering.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Thanks for the reply, you mean like this:

Gliffy Public Diagram - PurchaseOrder

Thanks

Yep, like that!
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Thanks, this is how I originally did it, but someone in the office suggested the other way and I came into problems! My main problem was when entering the data into the form, I could only have 1 item to one order, when more than often I would need to insert multiple items into one order.

So now, I will need to create a query based on the tabels, and then base the form on the query?

Can you see any other problems/suggesions with the Entity Relationship Diagram?

Thanks again for the help

Provided Answers: 59
    work through your tables and make certain the design meets the requirements

if it helps create the tables and populate with data to make certyain the needs are met
    instead of creating the tables another technique is to use old fashioned (but still useful) pencil and paper
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Looking back at the ERD, I will not need a client table, as this will be irrelavent, and will not be displayed on the invoice (the main purpose of the system) - so this will be removed.

I also have been informed we will not longer need to record a delivery address, so was thinking of including the payment method and orginator name into the purchase order table.

Finally, dose the Supplier table need to be linked to purchase order? Or is it ok as it is?

Thank you

If you are confident of the indirect link from supplier to PO (via the contact), this is fine as it is. You can always query back the name of the supplier from the contact.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    work through your tables and make certain the design meets the requirements

if it helps create the tables and populate with data to make certyain the needs are met
    instead of creating the tables another technique is to use old fashioned (but still useful) pencil and paper
    Thanks, I'll go through them again, I initially drew about 5 out! It does help alot.

Sorry, one last thing which has been puzzeling me from the start.

If I do create a new table, which stores the purchase order number and item number, how would this be used in the form (so that the purchase number and item number were generated automatically when entering data)

You can set the PK fields to Autonumber, which means that every time someone starts to enter a record, a new number will be generated. If the record is abandoned, the number is abandoned too and skipped the next time around.

If you need an unbroken sequence, you'll need to write or find a custom-built function to generate a number each time a record is created.

Hi, I dont think I explained my last problem in enough detail, but I think I can hopefully figure it out myself.

Thanks for the help guys!