Unanswered: sql30082n RC=24 - case sensitive user ID

v9.7 FP5 on RHEL 5.7

A user is trying to connect to the db using ODBC and getting sql30082n RC=24. His id is John.

db2diag.log contain the following message:
    Password validation for user john failed with rc = -2146500502

RC -2146500502 means "Bad user". The user name logged in the db2diag.log is lower case ( john instead of John )

I tried connecting using his ID from the command line and got the same error.

From InfoCenter:
    "Some operating systems allow case sensitive user IDs and passwords. You should check your operating system documentation to see if this is the case."

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db...2574%2522%2520

If a case sensitive user ID can be created on the server and I can su to or login using this ID, does this mean that the OS allows case sensitive user IDs and connect should work?

One of the explanations for RC=24 is:

2. The username being used might be in an invalid format. For
    example, on UNIX and Linux platforms, usernames must be all
    be lowercase.

But why does the manual need to mention "Some operating systems allow case sensitive user IDs and passwords."?

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post

If a case sensitive user ID can be created on the server and I can su to or login using this ID, does this mean that the OS allows case sensitive user IDs and connect should work?
    The ODBC driver (or driver manager -- not sure which) has a lot of quirks in how it deals with "fancy" user IDs and passwords, better to keep them simple. I had a lot of pain with an LDAP setup where users had names like john.doe.tor and passwords required special characters.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

I got the same error when trying to connect from the command line. I'm just trying to understand if this is working as designed (ie. db2 v9.7 still doesn't allow mixed case user names) or if they forgot to update the explanation for sql30082n. I tried putting the username is quotes, the entire connect statement in quotes - no luck.