Unanswered: Guidance on Creating an Invoice Database

<Introduction to me> Hi guys, I'm new to the forum though you may be seeing a little more of me over the coming weeks / months. I'm starting using access for a very small business I work for and I am looking for guidance on certain topics, I've used Access a small amount before (Nothing more than basic relationships and adding fields / tables) and I will be looking for guidance, hints and tips on what to do next or how to improve my existing work. (By no means will I ever ask someone to outright do it for me, this is not how I learn and I'm here to learn) I have used some guides but they don't exactly help as I'm told to put X in box Y but mainly I want to know why I would do this and how I can apply it to my own scenarios, this is why I have turned to this forum for help. <End introduction to me>

Now after my little introduction. I have been tasked to create a whole database that will create invoices through simple and easy to use forms, the database needs to be able to; do cost analysis, Track client spend, VAT returns, be able to send mailshots for marketing and of course create an invoice for all of this which can be emailed off or saved as a PDF file.
    Currently I have created a few tables and populated them which I will show as an attachment what I am looking for is some information on how to improve the tables, what fields you'd add in and some more about relationships and how I would use them in this scenario. what you see in the image some parts are place holders which I'll edit and change like "WebAddress" in the Stock table

If you need any more information or clarification on what you see here feel free to ask

TL;DR Below is an image of my tables help me improve them, but don't downright tell me, I'm here to learn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Relationships and tables.png  
    Last edited by Kisageru; 09-28-12 at 05:32. Reason: Clarification on some areas

I'm not sure of the bump rules here, but it's been almost 24 hours since I posted this and I've not received anything, if my post was unclear or I have asked incorrectly it'd be nice to know

I believe I'll take my questions elsewhere

Provided Answers: 19
    Sorry, but I'm afraid you've misunderstood the purpose of this forum. The reason that 175+ members have read your post, without anyone answering, is that, despite your disclaimer, you're essentially asking someone to teach you how to create a Database from scratch! Not just a Database, but a very, very complex Database!

Our purpose here (and on the half-a-dozen other Access forums that I frequent) is to answer questions/give advice on specific issues/problems, not to create entire apps from whole-cloth.

You've been tasked with a major project that would take an experienced developer an appreciable amount of time to complete! This assignment has probably come from someone who has been taken in by the b.s. the Microsoft PR department and their 'Anyone can create a Database with Access' line perpetuates! MS Access is a complex development environment, capable of producing the kind of complicated app you've been tasked with creating, but it's going to take quite a bit more than 'adding fields / tables.' You're going to need to get a good foundation in Access first. Here are links to tutorials provided by some of the leading Access experts:

Roger Carlson

Database Design - Roger's Access Library

Chrystal has an excellent “basics” tutorial:

Access Basics

This is a little more advanced, but still a great starting point, having 28 well written, well defined, clearly named chapters.

Microsoft Access Database Development

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
    CSD - Access Resources

MVP Allen Browne's extensive list of tutorials and on-line reference materials:
    Allen Browne's links to other Microsoft Access sites

Given the complexity of your assignment, there are simply no shortcuts to learning how to do this; you're going to have to do a certain amount of studying before you jump in and start writing this app! If you have specific questions, about your project or things you’ve read in these links, the volunteers here will be more than happy to assist you.

Good Luck!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

I sincerely apologise for that, I didn't understand how big of a project this was, I also apologise for my last comment which sounded like I was angry at the board, I was just getting a little stressed about how much I need to do and how little I know about this.
    I will talk to my boss and tell him the situation and hopefully he can be a little lax or even shell out for an Access course (Doubtful but hey I can try).

Thank you Linq for the links I am studying them extensively and hopefully I'll be able to come up with more concise questions, or even help others.

If a mod could close the thread that would be delightful, I don't see a way of doing it myself

Regards ~kisa