Unanswered: Enquiry on difference in query design

I am currently exploring database design and I have a stuck-up mentor who refuses to tell me much, hence I obtained most of my knowledge from Youtube.

I have a question regarding query design. In Access, one can design query using either the query design method, or through SQL codings. In a scenario where I have multiple tables joined into one in a query, using INNER JOIN, will there be any difference in coding when I use SQL? I tried using Query Design and SQL, both codings looked similar to me and I have no idea if there are any differences when I deploy the query out one day.

Can any kind souls kindly advice me please?

The short answer is, there shouldn't be any major difference between a query you write compared to the one Access wrote when you used the designer. That is assuming access is capable of writing the query. Minor differrences might be spacing. Access can write most queries for you using the designer. There are a many times when I've needed to manaully edit the sql becuase access doesn't have way of doing it in the designer, or at least away that I know of. For example I often only want to display unique records in a select query, so I create the query in with the designer and then go into the SQL view and add the the distinct option, like "SELECT DISTINCT * FROM SOMETABLE". Or if I want to merge two tables in a query I have to almost completely rewrite and query using the UNION SELECT. Another example would be passing query criteria with different operators as a variable through a module. The query designer doesn't provide us with a why to do that so it needs to be modified in the sql view.

On a side note, you ube and the interent in general can provide lots of good stuff that you're not going to get in a class room. The class room usaully teaches you the core inform you need which is great, but they don't have time to cover every topic. Google is your friends, learn to use google it. Not just simple searches but how to remove keywords from the search results and give priority to a keyword. It'll help get your answers to the top and filter out some of junk.

Toronto, Canada
    you can swicth between query design view and sql view easily

there should be no difference in the queries

if you want us to check whther there are any differences, copy and paste the sql view of each query here | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Appreciate your answers. I was trying to figure out the key differences. From my limited knowledge, I can only see that there are more flexibility in creating queries through the SQL command over Query Design. But when I did a simple query using the JOIN feature using both SQL and Query Design, both codings look exactly the same to me when I looked at both through SQL mode.

I learnt alot from Youtube and this DBforums. Created some good looking forms that auto-populate fields and update all tables in the relationship. Way more to learn.

Thanks once again!

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    the query wizard writes SQL in background, so implicitly there is no significant practical difference between using the query wizard and writing SQL directly. Except that you can solve especially tricky problems by writing SQL whereas they may be too complex for the query Query designer to handle.

One thign to bear in mind is that like all SQL databases Access isn't 100% compatable with ISAO / ANSI SQ, so you need to be careful that when writing SQL directly that you take note of Access quirks. This espcially applies to bracketing in JOIN clauses.

SQL may well be an international standard but but every SQL vendor has their quirks, some of those quirks are down to legacy ways of doing things, others are non standard features the vendor offers as a way of differentiating fromt eh competition or offering new dfeatures which are not (yet) part of the SQL standard.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton