Thread: HDD vs SSD.

Provided Answers: 17

Unanswered: HDD vs SSD.

Hi all.
    I guess this is one of those things you could expect to see, but I have to say I was not prepared for just how much of a speed difference this would make, but.....

I made a database for a company a while back and it's gotten really big over the years. It's over 800MB at this stage because of the file attachments they added to records. I was called back to try speed up the system because it had gotten painfully slow opening and when it was creating a backup copy of itself.

I suggested simply buying two SSD's and setting up a RAID config. Which they did and WOW...!!!!

The database went from opening in 50 seconds of HHD's down to 3 seconds when run on SSD's. Sweet..!!!!

James

Provided Answers: 59
    Moral of the tail:-
    Do not store 'attachments' (photos, documents, BLOB data or whatever) Inside the db store a pointer or URL to the location of the resource outside the db
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

James,
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I also had the similar problem. In my case my database gone upto 3.5GB(brilliant database limit is 4GB).If the number of attachments are more it was sometimes causing root damage problem.Then I have decided to store the attachments outside the database.Now my database has links more than 45000 files but still the database sizes to 200MB. Very easy linking. You can do mass linking through BDB. However I am still storing my images in the database itself because you can preview and get images printed and listed easily through BDB.

Provided Answers: 17
    Moral of the tail:-
    Do not store 'attachments'
    lol... True, very true.
    Never thought they would dump so many attachments into the database, but it seems like the solid state drives are certainly doing the trick.

I was thinking about changing it to work with links to files, but one of the managers there was rather concerned about doing that. He was complaining people keep moving stuff around on the server all the time, so having the actual files inside the database is much better for them.

Regards
    James

Provided Answers: 1
    Really interesting, how dows brilliant do the automatic file linking... or how did you solved