Unanswered: How do i get my subform to show a verticle scroll bar?

I have a sub-form that is used as the only "data entry" form in this db.

The sub-form is set to continuous forms as the defualt view.

It is placed on a tab-strip control that is on an unbound "main form".

When I view the main form in design view, the tab-strip control and the sub-form appear they way i think they should appear. In other words, there is a verticle scroll bar on the sub-form. It's working exactly as desired while in design view. However, in form view the scroll bar is not there. I have tried changing the properties of the sub-form to Both, Horizontal only, Verticle only, etc etc for the sub-form; but, nothing makes the scroll bars visible in form view.

I have also tried resizing all the elements involved with the tab-strip and the sub-form to make certain there is no "overlapping issues" that might make the scroll bars "invisible".

Why won't the verticle scroll bar appear while in form view? Really frustrating.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by ShovelinFishHeads View Post

...It's working exactly as desired while in design view...
    That means nothing, of course; it's not even the same Scrollbar! That Object is not there to view Data, but rather to facilitate making design changes to the Form, in Form Design View!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShovelinFishHeads View Post

...I have tried changing the properties of the sub-form to Both, Horizontal...
    Where, exactly, did you try doing this? Did you open up the Form the 'subform' was based on independently and make these changes? I ask because when in Design View for the Main Form, it is very easy to believe that you're changing Properties for the Subform when, in fact, you changing those Properties in the Main Form, itself! I've done it, I suspect anyone with any real experience in Access development has.

Here's a test to try
    • Open the Form the Subform is based on, independently in Design View
    • Go to Properties - Format and set the Scrollbars Property to Both
    • Scroll down to the Orientation Property and set it to Right-to-Left
    • Save it then Run the Main Form
    If you now look at the left side of the Subform, does the Scrollbar appear?

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 10-01-12 at 21:25.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

tried it

Linq

tried exactly what you suggested in design view for the subform. It had no effect on making scroll bars visible when in form view using the main form.

continuous forms do not even scroll; it's like the continuous forms are fixed.

how could that happen?

Thanks for the help!

Given what you've already tried, I can't think of anything else to try, long-distance, as it were. If you can remove any proprietary/confidential data, zip your file up and attach it to a post, myself and others will be happy to look at it and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

i think you only see a scroll bar in a form, if the number of records requires one.

the other possiblity is maybe the width of the subform is slightly off, and the scroll bar is too far over to the right to see it.

in which case, add a horizontal scroll bar to the form, so you can move the "window" over to the right.

If this is the case then you need to resize the form. Do you have a large blank area to the right of the data columns, by any chance?

I'm gunna try....

I think my best shot right now is to recreate the sub-form and maybe the main form. It's not really complecated; just has about four comboboxes on it and some text boxes.

I'll get back here after I do it to tell you what happends.

recreated the subform

I never could figure out what was causing the scroll bar to not appear. Making the subform real small and making the main form and "window" to the subform real big didn't help.

So I took the time to recreate the subform from scratch and that fixed my problem. Vertical scroll bar works just like it should now.

Luckily, the subform just had two combo boxes and four text boxes on it. Making a new one and intergrating it with the main form only took about one hour or less.

Thanks everyone out there who helped with this.

That would tend to suggest that the Subform had become corrupt. We normally think of Forms or entire Databases when we speak of corruption, but Controls, such as Subform Controls, can and do become corrupted, as well! And the test for corruption of a Control is also the solution; deleting the Control and re-creating it!

Glad you got it working for you!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

more info

Thanks Linq for the additional info. You're advancing my understanding of this 'science' quite nicely.

I am about to post another thread covering a second problem I am having with this db. Maybe you can solve that problem for me. We'll see.