Unanswered: Can't update field on form

I have tried everything I know to fix this problem.It says Can't update field, then after 3 tries it let's me add the data. I attach a zipped db with one record in it.Try adding a new record and you will see the problem.Oh, the field name is GirlID it is the first field tabbed to.The field is in the table tbl_main

Thanks, NEVERMIND, I FIGURED IT OUT

Dave
    Last edited by Burrina; 10-02-12 at 19:53. Reason: Nevermind, I figured it out

You can't to enter anything in AUTONUMBER field.
    Skip this field, it'l be crowded automatic, or put
    NUBER instead of AUTONUMBER.

It is not a autonumber field, it is a text field.

Look at attachment (word, zip).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, but that is NOT what is causing the problem. It is the GirlID field that is causing the problem and won't update, the counter, i.e. autonumber, ChinaID set as primary key works fine and does not cause any problems.Try creating a NEW record and you will see what happens when you try and enter anything into the GirlID field.

Provided Answers: 59
    frankly your table design is a mess
    I think you need to read more on db design BEFORE proceeding any further
    ferinstance when ever I see columns such as picture1...picture4 or letter1..letter12 its nearly always a sign of iffy design. what happens if there are more than 12 letters sent on either side

you've not defined relationships at the table level, but do define them in a query...

I suspect the problem is going to be that you are basing the form on a query which joins two tables... always dodgy in Access.

youneed to be consistent in your tabel and coilumn naming
    ..get out of the habit of naming columns / tables with spaces. use either CamelCase or underscores in place of spaces
    eg
    my table name becomes
    MyTableName
    or
    my_table_name

when designing forms or reports ALWAYS givce your controls meaningful names, if for no other reason when posting here people can understand what the heck is going on in your code. it will also help you in the short to medium turn.

If a column should be constrained to to specific values then use a combo box to display AND use a table to define those values
    ferinstance your column concerning English should be such a combo with the values learning, fluent and so on
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Your form is based on query with 2 tables.
    Look at attachment (word zip).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well thanks, Other than make me feel bad, your advice was of no help.The zip you sent even tells me that my form based on a query was okay. If not based on a query, the form would never be able to be refreshed except for maybe using a control to execute a macro or vba code. I did not see anything wrong with the field names either.I also have other tables which were not included in the demo I sent because of size constraints and were unnecessary to get my point across.They include a picture table for the other pics when they are needed. Anyway, I see nothing wrong with the GirlID field which would cause this error.Still, I will take your advice about the table names and field names, I cant see where it would hurt.Maybe I do need to learn some things, but isn't that why I am here asking questions? Any real advice as to how to solve the problem would be appreciated. Thanks again for your help.

because you have defined your relationship in the query designer, as opposed to the relationships I doubt you have got what you think.
    if you want a one to many relationship then define it explicitly as such within the relationshipos window

I really don't understand that. I know how to do the relationships in the window but if I create my form then how am I supposed to get all of my fields on the form.What will be the record source for the form, just one table? That can't be since all of the desired fields won't be in that table. If the form is based on just the table then it will never refresh itself or contain the latest data without closing it or using code or a macro. Surely using more than one table is not wrong for a forms record source.Am I missing something here? If I deleted all of the fields in tbl_main except for ChinaID,GirlID and Girl, I would still get the same error. It is a problem with the form, I just don't know what. I can create a simple form with only those fields on it using the same query and everything works fine, heck for that matter everything the database works flawlessly except for this one thing so I can't be that wrong with my design.Anyway thanks for your help, I will figure it out somehow. Right now I am creating a new form and will test it.

use relationships window
    if you have to many controls on aform consider using tabs.
    until you fix your query you will continue to have the problems you first reported
    it may be your opinion there is not much wrong with your design, thats your opinion
    my opinion is the design is at best flawes, but thats my opinion.
    its not my application, so I don't really care. its your application you should care

I don't know anything about tabs or what they are.I will do a search and find out.

Thanks