Unanswered: Same server two databases

Hi,

I have a windows 2008 server.

I already installled oracle software for oracle_home C:/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1 for database DEV.

Now, I want to create new database with different oracle_home on same server with oracle_home as C:/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2 and SID as TEST.

Do I have to istall oracle software again ? if yes, what about inventoryfiles in C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory ? wont they be overwritten ?

Provided Answers: 1
    Why do you want another oracle_home? Both databases can quite happily use the same oracle_home.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

i know they can have same home but one will be production and other is test .... i dont want prod to have same home as test ....

Guys,

instead of suggesting work arounds, if any of you can answer my question is first thread, it will be of great help. I have already thought about all the work arounds so please

Do I have to istall oracle software again?
    Yes, and specify a new location for your second oracle_home.
    what about inventoryfiles in C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory? wont they be overwritten?
    I've no idea - I've never needed to have separate oracle_homes on the same server.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

First of all: NEVER EVER put a production system and a test system on the same machine, even less on Windows (no bashing intended) !

Apart from that, you don't have to worry about the inventories: the Installer is doing the right thing
    (The inventory is not about databases but about the installed SW).

The decision, whether to use the same ORACLE_HOME for more than one database or not should be based on the following questions:

-- are you sure, you always want all databases on the same version and patch levels ?
    -- are the SLAs for all DBs identical (same blackout times) ?
    -- are you sure that there is no security issue with all DBs using the same listener and tnsnames.ora files ?
    -- will the administrator stay the same for all databases ?

If you answer any of the questions above with "No", you should go for different ORACLE_HOMEs.

Be aware though,. that different ORACLE_HOMEs will multiply your expenditure of work when upgrading and/or patching.
    Last edited by magicwand; 10-03-12 at 19:00.
    "There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible, and wrong."
    -- H.L. Mencken

Hi Magicwand,

Thank you so much for detailed reply.

Putting Production and Test on same server is client requirement ... this is not from my heart !!!

two out of 4 questions have answer as NO ... so I think I will go with different Oracle Homes....

Another thing which confused me from your explanation about listeners ... I can not have two listener files as i have two oracle homes ?

Also, Can I have same port listening to both databases ?
    Last edited by Ninadgarude; 10-04-12 at 04:54.

Yes, a listener can listen for multiple databases. You just have to define both in the listener.ora

You run the listener from one of the oracle homes and not the other.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    >Also, Can I have same port listening to both databases ?
    single listener can utilize single port supporting multiple instances.
    Realize & understand that when multiple ports are specified, only single port is ever active at any point in time.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Since I will have two oracle homes, i will have two listener.ora files present in their own $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin location .... so can I use same port in two listener.ora files ?

created second oracle home

shared listener.ora file

inventory not affected

everything running smoothly

Thanks all for your replies.

Provided Answers: 11
    On the ports question, no. Regardless of operating system, no two processes can use the same port.