Thread: Rebuild Index

Unanswered: Rebuild Index

I've been search for the past couple days on this and have yet to find an easy answer.

I need to rebuild all indexes for a database. I believe some indexes are having problems so I would like to rebuild them to rule indexes out as a possible cause for the problem.

Everything I find on rebuilding indexes are for zOS, which doesnt seem to be very helpful as I'm running on a windows environment.

For example the database name is: Test
    I have the following tables: Table1, Table2, Table3
    I have the following tablespace that contains all indexes for the above tables: USERSPACE2

How do i run a manual rebuild for this database?

Provided Answers: 5
    What do you think is the problem with the indexes?

You can REORG the indexes, or you can drop them and recreate them.

Andy

So there is no automated way to recreate indexes in DB2 like you can in MSSQL?

We are having random issues when a certain database is accessed it kills the DBM for the instance. Not much info is in db2diag or in any trap files but it seems to happen when selecting certain information.

Also helpful that you cant open some of the debugging files without opening a ticket with IBM for them to decrypt it....

It sounds like the problem is with certain queries, not the indexes. Have you looked at the access plans for those queries?

Andy

doing a little more digging, i find that running a specific query against a specific "View" causes the DBM to crash, and ideas?

Given the amount of information you have provided, I would say you have an issue with a certain query against a certain view.

Andy

I take my last post back, it must have been a coincidence that i ran the query when the DBM failed again.

I reran the query several times again and the DBM did not fail. False alarm..

I am still clueless as to what the problem is in the first place. What DB2 version are you on? Tell us about the server that DB2 is running on. 32/64 bit? Amount of RAM? Windows version? DBM Config? DB Config? The more information you supply, the better answer you will receive.

Andy

Well I should probably start a new thread as this one was just a question about rebuilding indexes