Unanswered: the sort in database vs. sorting from select-command

Hallo everyone,

I am using a database client tool. It seems like, the sorting of the records I can see in the tool is different to the sorting if I run:

Code:
    select * from mytable
    fetch first 10 rows only;
    So, the first 10 rows I can see without running above command is different to the result of the command. Anyone an idea why it is like this?

Thank you.

Regards,
    Ratna

Provided Answers: 1
    There is no sorting in your query. Data in the database do not have any inherent order. To sort query results, user the ORDER BY clause. In all other cases the order of results is undefined.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

hallo n_i,

ooh.. the data has no particular order in the database. Even if I sort the records in the database by a clicking a particular column such as "customerNumber", the result from sql-command with order by option will not give me the sorted results, as the sorting I have done in the database is just optical?

On the other side, this command will give me the information in which sort the first 10 rows are really stored in the database. Is that correct?

Code:
    SELECT * FROM myTable FETCH FIRST 10 ROWS ONLY
    Thank you.

Regards,
    Ratna

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ratnalein View Post
    I sort the records in the database by a clicking a particular column
    This does not sort records in the database, obviously, because there is no clicking on the database. What it sorts is a bunch of variables in whatever application it is that you're clicking in.

Quote Originally Posted by ratnalein View Post
    this command will give me the information in which sort the first 10 rows are really stored in the database. Is that correct?

Code:
    SELECT * FROM myTable FETCH FIRST 10 ROWS ONLY
    No necessarily. They will come out in whatever order the optimizer chooses, if any.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

thank you very much n_i.

Regards,
    Ratna