Thread: Booking Form

Unanswered: Booking Form

Hi There everyone

I have a problem that is probably very easy for this clever community to solve but for the life of me I cant get my head around it. Here goes. I want to create an access db for booking a vehicle between one set date/time and another set date/time and then make another booking for the same vehicle for a different period but I don't want the bookings to be able to overlap is this possible. If any one can help I would be very grateful. A small sample db would be even better. Thank you in anticipation.

Woried12

Provided Answers: 59
    yes its perfectly possible

you need to know:-
    what vehicles exist
    what bookings exist
    then in the front end make certain that you don;'t allow bookings to overlap
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for getting back so quickly. However I really need this spelling out to me. How would I set out the tables. Just for one vehicle and two drivers.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    table: customers (contains detaisl about custoemrs, eg name, phoine number and so )
    table: vehicles (contains details about cars, eg make, mode, engine size etc)
    table bookings (an intrersection table that contains details of specific bookings of vehicles. along with the primary keys from customers and vehicles it contaisn anythign pertinent to the booking (such as price, booking times and so on.

when you come to take a booking you must check to see what is available. how you do it is up to you, but you cannot (as far as Im aware do that inside the table design, that has to be part of the front end (the user interface). some of the code that handles that could be put into the schema with a trigger or stored procedure, but Im assuming your coursework is looking for a solution in the user interface
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton