Unanswered: Database Design Idea

Hi All,

I'm a small term developer planning a small project. I wanted to get some idea on designing the database for it.

I want to get a system running on multiple database.

oki let me explain :

database01 : tbl_user , tbl_userDetails ....
    database02 : tbl_books, tbl_userBooks ....

the users will be accessing the database01 when logining into the system and will be accessing database02 when accessing books and stuff..

is this an ok DB design for a single online system ? will this make my system running smoothly when it is accessed by a couple of thousand people ?

Thanks in advance and all ideas are welcome

Provided Answers: 59
    why do you think you need two separate DB's
    one to handle logins
    one to handle the meat of the system 'books and stuff'
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

actually to handle a load of the number of records which will grow on the database and I thought it will make things a bit more secured even if I get an attack, yet the minus point will be if one database goes down the system might not function well.

why would having two databases reduce the load?
    if either DB's 'goes' down the system won't function (except for those users already accredited and using the actual app). new users won't be able to logon if the authentication db is 'down', no users will be able to use the app if the 'books and stuff' db is down.
    One reason to consider a separate authentication db is if say you have multiple discrete db's running with common user id's. but given that MySQL can 'see' any tables in any databases if they are running on the same server its usually a pointelss activity in MySQL.

i have this fear whether the db will crash out if alot of people login and use the system real time for this how can I plan a single Database to handle a big load like where about 5000 users will be logged in same time. ? any points on how I should go on ?

If you application grows that bog then consider cloning the DB
    or throw more money at the hardware faster and more CPU's, more memory, buigger disc, better network infrastructure
    or consider an MySQL cluster

Thanks alot for your input will look into it

You're "working on a small project" but you expect 5000 simultaneous users? My that project grew fast.

well its a plan hope it will go on well