Unanswered: Filesystem backup

Our OS team performs a daily incremental filesystem backup to TSM. This is done for all filesystems, including DB2 filesystems (data, logs, etc...). We perform daily DB2 backups to TSM as well. Our DBA team doesn't agree about whether this OS-level backup of DB2 filesystems is really needed.

Do you do FS backups for DB2 filesystems? Who decides if this should be done or not, DBA or OS team?

Provided Answers: 1
    You probably know that the file system backup of database files is practically useless. If your sysadmins want to waste backup media space storing something that is not needed, it's their choice.

Normally sysadmins only care about the root file system backup plus installed applications, which would allow them to restore the server to an operational state. They would ask application owners for exclusions (files or file systems that don't need to be backed up).
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

I told other DBA's the same thing - FS backup is useless for me. Just wasting resources... I agree with the OS guy who wants to disable backup of DB2 FS's and is asking for include list (I'm thinking to backup some db2 control / config file - dbm cfg file, scripts, db2look, etc... small files). Some DBA's (primarily mainframe) are saying that it's not us who have to make this decision, we're not the ones who asked for backup of DB2 FS's to be setup in the first place and so it should not be us who decide what to backup and what not. They do volume backup on the mainframe which includes db2.

You are 100% correct the file system backup is useless (unless you are doing snapshot backups and putting the db in write suspend first). We backup the config files (db config, dbm config), a daily list history (helps with Disaster Recovery), script directory, root directories and a software directory. Our philosophy is only backup at the file system level what you would need for a disaster recovery.

They use PPRC for disaster recovery, FS backups are just in case mirror has some problem or for the servers that are not being mirrored. We had a DR test several months ago and DB2 was able to complete crash recovery successfully following mirror restore(?). If anything goes wrong and I need to recover the db, I would use DB2 backups. I think they would have to agree that FS backup of DB2 data is useless. As long as I have successful DB2 backups and logs get successfully archived, I can can recover the db.