Question Unanswered: Access with SQL Server (freezing UI)

Hello guys,

I have form with listbox on it containing boat names, when I click on listbox item I open another form with listbox containing all related transactions. Lately, I started experiencing freezing UI because some of boats have over 800+ transactions. I have linked tables to SQL Server and I use "SELECT .... FROM <linked table> WHERE ..." as RowSource. Is there any way to improve performance of my project? Maybe running stored procedures?

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 59
    are you using pass through queries or JET SQL?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I was using JET SQL, switched to pass through queries as a RowSource. Works like a charm! Any benefit of using stored procedures in pass through queries?

Provided Answers: 59
    pass through queries and stored procedures run on the DB server, so the management of that service is owned by your DBA's
    JET queries are run on the local machine. meaning there's a heck of a lot of data (actual data and indexes) running backwards and forwards from the server over the network. if you network is already clogged then runnign a JET query on a server backend is a recipie for disaster.

effectively you get the worst of both worlds (server overhead plus network overhead plus local machine overhead), rahter than asking the server for only what you require. levereging the benefits of a server backend requires more careful thought than just bunging the data into a server and leaving the rest of the application alone
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton