Help with college to become a DBA and a few other questions.

Hi. I'm new here. I'm 25 and have never been to college. I've just never saw anything that interested me until I discovered Database Administration. I have just a few questions maybe you guys can help me with. I've read that going to community college is basically a waste of time, is this true? I planned on going to Stark State in Ohio. Would Akron University be better or can I combine the two? Or are neither of these colleges respected enough to land me a job?

Also, is it too late for me? As I said, I'm 25. I've read most employers require 7 years of experience before they will hire. So how long does it take to get my Bachelors? I've read 4 years. Does this mean I won't get a decent paying job until I'm 36? And last, can you give me an estimate of the salary i will have in the mean time? I know you can't give an exact number, but a rough estimate would help me a lot.

Thanks for any help.

What have you been doing the last 5 years? If working in some kind of "office" setting, you may already be building some "experience". Where do you intend to work? Ohio? "Anywhere"?

Coming directly out of college usually will not place one in a dba position with an organization that is well-managed. If you can find an employer that will support a co-op situation, you may be able to build experience while going to school. The time in school may vary. For an 18 year old starting college in Sep after graduating HS in Jun, and going "full time", 4 years is "average" for a bachelor degree. Going thru the summer may reduce the time to 3 years. If you work an internship for an employerr, the time probably matters less and the times i've seen this done, the employer has you work some quarters / trimesters / semesters (whatever your school uses) and attend school others. Each arrangement would be quite specific.

Good luck.

No, I haven't been doing office work. I would want to work in either Ohio or California since I've always wanted to move there. ..So I've basically missed my chance at becoming a successful DBA?

So I've basically missed my chance at becoming a successful DBA?
    Of course not. . .

Unless you want to be a high-paid dba by summer 2013. . . Getting to that position in that timeframe is probably not an option.

You need to set reasonable long-term goals. Decide in which direction you want to go with a career and determine the steps to get you there. No one at a forum can tell you where is best for you. Your family and friends would be good to talk with.
    Last edited by papadi; 10-19-12 at 15:27.

Ruffles,

If being a DBA is something you truly desire then focus on a different question like: HOW can I get experience? WHAT counts as experience?

Maybe go online and research jobs and see what the requirements and skills are and research on how you can obtain your skills. I am fortunate enough to live by Silicon Valley in Calif. so there's a lot of entry level jobs where they are willing to train. Most employers will help you get your foot in the door if you can prove that you are willing/ eager to learn and grow.

Thanks so much you guys. You've helped me more than you know.