Question Unanswered: New to creating triggers which enfore data integrity

I am trying to create a trigger that will ensure that only one record in a table will have that character. Basically enforce uniqueness with a trigger. Any syntax hints will be helpful.

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 5
    Use an index. It will perform far better than a trigger.

Andy

I had proposed that with the developer but they insisted on a trigger as the business requirement. Any other idea?

Provided Answers: 5
    Why does it have to be a trigger?

Andy

I am still waiting on a response. But for now, the requirement is trigger. Let me know if you could aid with this build.

Would this work?

CREATE TRIGGER "xx"."xx"

NO CASCADE BEFORE INSERT

ON "tt"."tt"

REFERENCING

NEW AS newrow

FOR EACH ROW

WHEN ((EXISTS ( SELECT col FROM tt.tt WHERE col2 = 'A' )) and newrow.col2 = 'A')

SIGNAL SQLSTATE ' ' ('There is already an active budget cycle. '|| 'Only one can be active ');

Thanks for responding.

I had proposed that with the developer but they insisted on a trigger as the business requirement.
    Developers do not determine business requirements . . .

It would be wise to find out why someone believes this should be done using a trigger. Do they think that every edit of this type should be done by a trigger? Is your single-character example representative of the real world? Can the table only have 26/36/whatever rows (so that they will be unique)?

After talking with the developer. There is no way a trigger can provide a solution to their requirement.

I will comment on this if anything changes. For now the build is on hold till the app code/logic is worked through

Thanks all for input.