Unanswered: Indexing a URL column (Unique Index, Regular Index, Reversed URLs)

Hi,

I'm allowing sub-sites on my domain for which I'm storing their URLs (without host+domain names), the allowed length is 100. What's the best way of creating index on this type of string column?

• I have read that URLs should be stored reversed as the first part of the url would be the same i.e. member_name/random-url-name. So, should I reverse the URL and create index on first (20-30) characters?

• Or I should just create Unique index on the whole column?

• Or should I check uniqueness with the code and create a regular index?

Appreciated...

It depends how you are going to access the member name and/or random url name?
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter

The complete URL will be retrieved from this table not the member_name i.e.

WHERE url='member-name/contact-info'

why not store the member name in one field and the contact-info in a separate field. Then your query would be WHERE member_name = 'member-name' AND contact_info = 'contact-info'. There would be no need to reverse index anything in this case.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter

That's right no need to reverse index in this case. Even if I keep it the way it is, indexing first 25 characters will work fine since the first part of the url is member-name, so indexing will keep member's all URLs sorted (in the same place).

I don't see any other advantage of splitting fields into two, because I already have primary-foreign keys in 'member' and 'pages' tables to identify urls that belong to any particular member.

So, how much difference there would be in terms of performance if I do one of the following:

• Unique Index for the URL column varchar(100)

• Index on first 25 chars of the URL and check uniqueness with the code.

Appreciated...
    Last edited by akrashdi; 10-24-12 at 15:08. Reason: New experiments

Both of your solutions are likely slower than splitting into two columns as suggested.