Thread: SUM epoch time

Unanswered: SUM epoch time

I have a query that converts epoch time to normal time and formatted it to only return the time and not the date as well. That part works fine. Now I'm trying to SUM that field but the normal time sum doesn't work. How do I sum a field that has been converted to a different datatype?

please explain how summing epoch times produces anything meaningful or logical

what is today plus yesterday? what is 2012-09-09 + 2011-10-13?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

It is very logical if you are adding or averaging call times for ONE day. i.e. talk time, wait time, etc. I can't just divide by the amount of records because the records change daily for each employee. let's say the employee has 12 calls each lasting different times. I want to average and sum the amount of time this employee was talking on the phone. I'd say summing epoch would produce something meaningful in this situation. As stated on my original post I formatted the converted epoch time to remove the date and only show time so I don't know where today plus yesterday came from.

okay, i think i see where you're trying to go

what you want is to sum call times

call times would be defined as datetime_call_stopped - datetime_call_started

just summing up times won't work
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL