Thread: Notifying Users

Unanswered: Notifying Users

Is it possible to notify users currently in ms access database? If so, how is it done?
    Thank you in advance!!

Notify them of what?

Provided Answers: 2
    I suspect the OP wishes to be able to send a notification through Access to any users currently working in a database (e.g. to warn them of incipient downtime, or to tell them to get out so that he can fix a problem).

Must say, I'd like to know this, too.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Provided Answers: 59
    AFAIK there is no built in mechanism to do this
    you could roll your own (create a table with messages in), the on every form & report as deemed neccesary by you add some code which queries that table to see if there are any pertinent messages and display them

there is this sort of functionality already developed for messaging windows users outside Access, but for the life of me I con't remember what it is/was called
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

As healdem said, you can build your own. I've done that with a multi-user database. I've created a messages table, with the columns id,msg_text,read and a date field.

If your main menu form or switchboard is always open use that to check for notifications with the timer function. The timer would check the table and if any messages are unread then it will display the message to the user based on the timer function. When the user clicks ok on their end, it will mark the message as read.

However, you will need a user table, with the userid of the person using the db and a online (yes/no) field. When the database is open, it marks the user as online. When they close, it will update to offline.

It works quite well.

Provided Answers: 59
    erm you don't need to store users who are logged on, you can retrieve that from the LDB file as and when required. that self same LDB file will also tell you which machines are connected, and form that you know which telephone numbers to call....
    there is a fragment of code that I first came accross in Litwin et al's Access Developers Handbook (probably re posted in the code bank by PBaldy) which can also freeze userrs from opening an MDB/MDE file.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thank you for everyone's insight...i will look into the LDB route. Thank you.