Unanswered: Exclude 9 Digit Part Numbers

I am doing a query in Access 2010 in which I need to exclude all part numbers that have nine numbers in them (example 457896573). The part numbers are in a bill of materials. The nine digit part numbers are old part numbers that need to be excluded from the database. I tried using *<99999999* but the patt number *173405100* for instance is not being filtered out. I have part numbers such as "4722-0148" in the database which I want to remain but using <99999999 appears to not affect these part numbers. What I really need to do is eclude all 9 digit part numbers instead of using an expression such as <99999999. I apologize for asking a question that is probably a trivial thing for you database gurus but I have virtually no experience with databases.

Thank you,

Roger
    Last edited by ralexander; 10-24-12 at 08:26.

Trying using Len()

In your sql statement try something like
    example:

select * from parts where Len(partnumber) <> 9

That should return everything where the part number is not 9 characters.

If you are using the access query design view, in your part number field the criteria would be len<>9.

Thank you for your help. I tried using Not "Len 9" but for some reason I have the part numbers 173405100 and 173431200 aren't being excluded from the query. I have other queries to do and don't really want to sort through them and look for part numbers that aren't being excluded the ecluding specific part numbers. This shouldn't be a difficult thing to do really.

Thanks again,

Roger

If you have len<>9 in your query criteria then it should work. Are you sure those numbers are only 9 characters and don't have any spaces at the beginning or end that you are unable to see?

Try it in reverse too. try len=9 and see if it returns those numbers. If not, then they probably have spaces that you can't see.

Provided Answers: 59
    where len(trim(mypartnumber))<>9
    shoudl do the trick
    the trim strips off leading and trailing spaces,
    the len <> 9 returns rows whoose part number is not equal 9 characters

if you think you have a problem with trailing spaces run a one time update query to remove spaces

eg
    UPDATE MyTable SET MyPartNumber = trim(MyPartnumber) WHERE len(MyPartNumber)<>9
    ...replace the MyTable, MyPartNumber with the names of your table and partnumber column respectively
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks to everyone that helped me with this problem.

Roger