Unanswered: can you get HeidiSQL to work with MYSQL from a XAMPP install?

If you can, how do you do it, i don't recall using a password either, so im guessing I would just leave that blank and use 'root' as user name.

best practice is to
    a) assign a password to your root mysql user
    b) never use root as a regular user for mysql
    c) create a user with enough privileges to do what you need with the data at hand so then you would log in to heidisql with that user and password.

Thanks for that, I've never assigned a pw to mysql through xampp. I'm completely and utterly new to this stuff.

I'll have a go when I get back from work tomorrow, thanks again.

xampp is just a package that installs the three of mysql, php and apache.

you can open mysql from a COMMAND PROMPT window without a password and then install the password. See GRANT syntax in the manual. You'll see how to create a password as well as how to create a new user.

Provided Answers: 59
    The default installation of MySQL using XAMPP create the superuser account Admin with no password
    if you read the security FAQ they recommend that the first thing you do is change the superuser password to something that means something to you AND create other user accounts with passwords for other use. you probably need an account for admin (effectively the same privileges as the superuser plus as many other accounts as required for your application.
    if you are planning on creating databases AND table then you will neede admon privileges.

Personally I wouldn't use Heidi I'd use Workbench which integrates most of the functionality you would want in dealing with MySQL databases into one coherent product. HeidiSQL is good, but it isn't MySQL centric.

XAMPP is a clever installer that sets up MySQL, PHP, Apache and other stuff, that takes out a lot of the drudgery of getting a working local server. It takes out the gotcha's and minor niggles that can be a pain for a beginner to resolve. in short it works. But it cannot do absolutely everything for you.

however its default installation is no secure (the note at the end of the installation script tells you what to do to secure your installation.

You can create databases and users usign the command line client mysql.exe
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton