Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Sharing Database over a shared network folder

Hello. Recently my agency has upgraded it's server. In doing so, my database was "unshared" somehow within the new public folder. I can access, update, and use the database and it's currently in a shared, public folder, but other users with access to this folder cannot see the information I've input, and vice versa. When my administrative assistant adds a new participant, for example to the database, I cannot see what she's added. Are there any suggestions as to what settings I should be checking?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 19
    Since this is a multi-user environment, the first question that has to be asked is whther or not this app has been split into a Front End (with a copy on every user's hard drive) holding everything except the data, and a Back End, holding all the data, on the server.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Not to sound naive, but how could I find that out? A long time ago, I was messing around with this concept, but I can't remember what came of it.

It was not split.

Provided Answers: 59
    if you can't see hers, and she cant see your (updates that is, you dirty minded beasts) then check whether you are actually updating the same DB.....
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I did. When we changed over to the new server, somehow the old database was linked as opposed to the new one. Thanks!

Provided Answers: 59
    so now is a very very good time to split the db into a separate front end (the user interface) and back end (the datastore) AND have a separate copy of the front end on each users local computer
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I don't know. My tech person advised against it, due to the fact that there will only be 2-3 people using it simultanteously.

Provided Answers: 3
    Your tech guy is an idot then. Splitting the database and using the built in security features, is the best solution for multiple users, especially if they are using it at the same time.

Provided Answers: 19
    Not just the best solution, the only solution! But I do disagree with DFeil; your tech person isn't am idiot, he is a blithering idiot! It's one thing to not know/understand an particular app, no one understands all language/apps. But it is beyond being totally idiotic to not know Access and yet still venture opinions on it, especially when that opinion flies in the face of what multiple experts, with years of experience, tell you!

More than one user, simultaneously using an Access Database, is a Multi-User Environment! Having multiple users sharing a single, non-split database, is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, as well as speed and timing problems! Multiple users simply have to work off of a split database, with each user having their own copy of the Front End, which contains everything except the data/tables, on their respective hard drives, and a Back End with only the Tables on a shared drive.

Being in forced retirement, I spend 6-8 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past seven years have seen dozens and dozens of reports of non-split apps causing these kinds of problems as well as massive data loss! The really insidious thing is that a non-split app can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

The record, by the way, was a Non-Split db that had been working, without problems, for 12 years! It then started exhibiting the symptom you gave and continued to do so until the app was split.

If your Database isn't really important, which is to say if data-loss isn't important, and the app being down won't cost you any production time loss, then by all means leave it non-split.

Splitting an Access database isn't as scary as it sounds; Access will do most of the heavy-lifting for you! Here’s a tutorial on Splitting a Database:

Splitting your Access database into application and data

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Wow! Why don't you tell us how you really feel? Don't hold back! lol

Okay so I've made it as far as splitting the database. Here's my situation: I had an existing database in which I've now split. The copy that my users have been using sits on a shared drive and we all access the same database. I have created the backend in the same location. I tried to make it through the rest of the tutorial, but I'm afraid I didn't do something right.

Another question: When I need to make changes to the now split database, which do I use, the backend or the original, (which I'm assuming is what's referred to as the "front end".

Should I have saved the backend in my personal documents? When I distribute this split database, which end gets used by the multiple users? AHHH. Whoever said this was easy was obviously lying.

Provided Answers: 14
    A copy of the front-end must be installed on every client computer, while the back-end is stored on a network share.
    Have a nice day!

Can anyone else help to clarify this for me? I have several unanswered questions. Please see previous post.

Thank you.

Also, how do I install a front end copy on my user's computers?