Unanswered: Printed Circuit Board Component Database

Hello everyone, I am trying to develop a database that will be integrated with a schematic capture program used for designing printed circuit boards. Each of the component queries (Capacitors etc.) will be accessed from the schematic capture program. I am hesitant to move on with the project. I am very green when it comes to databases. I was hoping that someone could maybe take a look at the attached diagram and let me know if I am headed in the right direction or not. I am wondering if there is a better way to approch this project. There are approximately 40,000 rows of data in each of the tables that I am linking to from the query. These tables cannot be changed and are read only. The same primary key exists in each table. I have heard that it's better to work with tables than with queries. I would like to have a table to replace the query that is in the middle of the block diagram but I don't know how to do this. Since I am pulling data from four different tables, I feel that I need to do a query. I want to be able to enter new properties or fields for the records using the form but I want to be able to enter the data in table view also. I am assuming that I can add columns to a query and manually add data to the columns in table format view or via the form. If I eliminate the middle query that is in the block diagram and query against the linked tables, will I be able to use one form to add/edit new fields in the component queries? I am concerned about lag time. This database will be put onto a DNS server for a group in the UK to use. I am located in the United States. Sorry for rambling on...any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ralexander; 11-01-12 at 15:37.

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    I gues it depends on what your schematics editor does. THe biggest beneift may just be to design a sysetm that handles mart equivalence, possibly extend to supplier part numbers

the varoious functionl desing of the package
    the various package dimensions
    the various manufacturers paret numbers
    the various suppliers part numbers

if your schematics editor allow you to interlink your data to the internal design data then you should be part way there. Some CAD programs allow you to build a BoM however integrating an external tool into the design data is always tricky
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton