Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: Access 2010 laccdb file contains 䅄佊䕎䱓T

Hey all. I recently have taken a frontend of mine and made a copy. I took the copy and "downsized" to be "reviewing" form for a client of ours.

Here is the problem

If I load the db using the shortcut with the load form specified in options / current database/ Start up form

I cannot make any changes

I get an error message "saying the file is lockedf by user Admin on machine DLJONESLT".......

Funny thin g is - I am the only user on DLJonesLT and I am not logged in as Admin I am user DJones

Also when I look at the
    laccdb file to see who may be in the file

this is what is in the "text" file

䅄佊䕎䱓T摁業n

Please do not suggest to change my font in notepad

now if I open the DB with the shift key - I can do what ever I please in the application , as far as changes, etc.
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 19
    Sorry, have no real advice, as I've never heard of this in an laccdb file, but as a general rule, reports of 'oriental', 'Japanese' or 'Chinese' characters generally mean that there is corruption present.

How did you 'copy' your original? Operations involving the use of flash/thumb drives in copying Access files is a known culprit in corruption. These drives apparently report the copying as being 'completed' prematurely, causing the decices to be removed before the entire file is actually copied.

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 11-08-12 at 11:45.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

the ldb or now laccdb as it is called is a text file - created when the actual data base is invoked or loaded. It also is deleted when the last use exits the corresponding database.
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 59
    its not a text file, looks to me like its going to be binary.
    According to Introduction to the Access 2007 file format - Access - Office.com
    When you open an Office Access 2007 database, file locking is controlled by a locking file with the file name extension .laccdb. The .laccdb file corresponds to the .ldb locking file that is created when you open an earlier version Access (.mdb) file. The type of locking file that is created depends on the file type of the database that is being opened, not which version of Access you are using. For example, if you open the file Db1.mdb, Access creates and opens a file named Db1.ldb. By contrast, if you open the file Db1.accdb, Access creates and opens a file named Db1.laccdb. Locking files are deleted automatically when all users close the database.
    you may get more joy using a hex editor rather than a text editor

if the file is still present after you KNOW all people have stopped usign it then you can safely delete the file, but only if you knwo

reasons why you may get this message are manifold

it could be you've edited part of the application and Access on your behalf has placed the acccdb as read exclusive
    it could be that you have a form or table or query open trhat has secured a lock... again its usually down to some changes being made that haven't been saved. try re opening the file then see if that clears the fault (Without making any edits/changes to any objects.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

quite certain the Laccdb is a text file. In fact I opened the one up from the backend data and it reads:

DCOTTRELLT Admin GCHAUMIERLT Admin JSALINARDOLT Admin DAJONESLT Admin DAJONESLT Admin

BTW - this is the only LAccdb that does this and the only accdb front end that behaves this way -

I think it time for a rebuild into a new container.
    Dale Houston, TX

equally certain Laccdb file is not a ASCII text file
    opening up a LACCDB file in Wordpad or Notepad shows:-
    义䕔䥌7††††††††††††摁業n†††††††††††††
    the differences being the name of the computer and the user account and so on
    opening the self same file in word does generate some text which is legible

Provided Answers: 19
    I agree! Opening up a simple test file I'm using the laacdb shows

䥌兎䠭P摁業n

which obviously isn't a text file.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Healdem - I agree - not an ASCII - in fact I agree with all you have replied because I do consider you an SME with Acess and VBA (as i am as well)- you probably do not remember me - but a few years ago we used to exchange quite a bit of information - but I can't work in the problem on this. For the record - if I open an Laccdb file in Notepad on the server it reads - Admin DAJONESLT Admin - i am the only one in the DB as it states

Now i do agree at times ALL of my Laccdb's will show the 䥌兎䠭P††††††††††††摁業n†††††††††††††

but just as well - they sometimes show the text - there has to be an explanation - i am a past full time employee from microsoft (Internal trainer for Access and VBA) and I still havce cronies and a fast track to wonderful developers there as well as in the Microsoft Alum network - so i will post a full explanation of this.

With that said - focusing on the thing that is going to have me jump out of my 12th story office - why can I load the DB with the startup form and not be able to edit a thing - yet if i hold the shift key - I can edit, modify, any object in design mode? There is no code or properties whatsoever that control the attributes of the DB. It is local on my desktop as is the "parent" DB that I used as the template for the "downsized" application.

BTW - Awesome Bikes - i just had my Suziki TU250x cafe racer stolen - going to replace with a Suzuki 650 SV I think.
    Dale Houston, TX

if it works when you press the shift key, then its something that is automatically loading
    check your autoexec macro
    check what process's are kicked off by that macro (or start up form or VBA moduel... what ever it is that you are bypassing) on startup.

Its probably something dumb such as opening soemthign in exclusive mode or chsangign the design of a form/report or attempting to do something twice (or even more times)

No CBF on the strtup form - I set the constants for navigation bar and stratup form in the options
    I distribute the app as a access read only - so no ribbon and the form is set to modal.
    Dale Houston, TX

Fixed!!

If you use Notepad ++ it will open and is readable without any further conversion.