Unanswered: Using accdb/accdr linked to SQL AND ADP

I have small Access project that I'd like to migrate to SQL. I've read in a couple different places, including here: http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-ac...nking-sql.html that for small non-complex projects, ADP doesn't offer much advantage.

Is there any reason that the accdb/accdr (front end app) file could not be configured with linked tables via ODBC to the SQL Server while still creating an ADP project file to use just for creating new tables and relationships in SQL server?

thanks,

baulrich

Provided Answers: 14
    No, there isn't. You don't even need to use an ADP for creating the database structure: you can create the tables in Access, then export them to a SQL Server.
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 59
    ADP is depracated, meaning its on the way out, may nbot be tghe next version, but at soem stage ADP is toast. IF you have existing work ADP its fine, but its not recommended for new development.

Linked tables to a server using linked tables isn't a smart call either in my books. if you are going to the trouble of using a server backend then you'd be better off using pass through queries, unbound controls and ODBC. using linked tables and the bound controls in many ways gives you the worst of both worlds,in as much as you cannot leverage the power of the server and you are still transferring huge chunks of data over the network to the local PC rather than just the data it needs.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    ADP is depracated, meaning its on the way out, may nbot be tghe next version, but at soem stage ADP is toast. IF you have existing work ADP its fine, but its not recommended for new development.
    Thanks. If I do use ADP it would be just to serve as a "management" tool to create tables and relationships on the SQL Server. I'm not too familiar with how to accomplish with MSSQL Management Studio.

Linked tables to a server using linked tables isn't a smart call either in my books. if you are going to the trouble of using a server backend then you'd be better off using pass through queries, unbound controls and ODBC. using linked tables and the bound controls in many ways gives you the worst of both worlds,in as much as you cannot leverage the power of the server and you are still transferring huge chunks of data over the network to the local PC rather than just the data it needs.
    I have a very small project and I've successfully migrated the data from Access (BE file) to SQL Express. In the front end file, I've replaced the local tables with linked tables. It sounds like I'll need to migrate each of my saved queries to be "pass-through" queries. For the queries that use form parameters as criteria I plan to use a find/replace function within VB to replace the appropriate strings with the current form values before executing the query.

What would need done to migrate bound forms to unbound?

Are there any other major tasks involved besides updating the queries and the bound forms?

thanks,

baulrich