Custom Report Tools

Hello,

I need some suggestions of a need to build a custom report. I have a SQL Database 2008 R2 that has several tables within the DB. My users enter data in tables such as "Personal Info", "Vehicle Info", "Memo" and "Expierence".

I need a way, to build a query for say the person's name in the person table and the resulting custom report will place the data from that person and related linked table data on a viewable or printed page. I would need to initially create the look of the report and the results of the query will fill the fields of the report.

This is much like MS Access will allow you to design a report to print. I am not looking for a tubular or row of data reporting, I can do that without an issue. It is the type of report that I need to place the data in sections of the custom report with the data fields in each section.

If there is a free or low cost version of custom reporting tool (other than Reporting Services from MS)?

Does anyone have any suggestions that will assist me?

Regards,
    Joe

Maybe it will help if you "mock up" a sample that shows what you want.

Excellent Idea.

If I have done this correctly you should be able to see an .doc attachment. The example is very very simple but what I need in a custom report is much more detailed and this is why I am seeking assistance in finding a custom report creator for my users.
    Thank you for your assistance
    Joe
    Attached Files Attached Files

How much are you/your organization able to spend?

As you are already running SQL Server, you might consider SSRS (Sql Server reporting Services).

Yes they are MS Sql Server 2008 R2. This is a site that I am a consultant. I have no ability to purchase for the client.

I have looked at SSRS but in my research it appears that it needs a server license and client licenses, per seat. I could not determine the cost of this item or if it will even allow me to develop reports of the data in a manner I needed.

Joe

The SQL Server license covers the SSRS license as long as both reside on a single Windows Server.

I'll be shocked if you can envision any report that will give SSRS trouble... I know thosands of users, and have yet to see any report that it could not produce.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thank you PatP, I will contact my client's Microsoft rep to see if this will work.
    Regards,
    Joe