Unanswered: Can't view forms in Runtime Mode

I'm an accountant for a bank. I built a very simple (one table) databse to collect budget requests from various departments and branches. I split the database so that the backend resides on our accounting drive, and the front end is shared with certain managers. We're using the runtime version of Access so that managers can enter data, without purchasing additional licenses.

I have one table on the backend. I have one table, one form, and two reports on the front end.

I can only view the form in runtime. Why can't I see the reports?

For forms, there is a setting under Options / Current Database / Display Form that requires me to specify the form to display. Is there a similar setting for the reports?

We're using Access 2010.

Correction. Can't view REPORTS!!!

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by simpleinterest View Post

...I split the database so that the backend resides on our accounting drive, and the front end is shared with certain managers...
    Just to be perfectly clear, does each manager have a Copy of the Front End on his or her PC? Or is the Front End also on a shared drive?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Front end is on a shared drive.

Okay, the first thing you have to do is correct this by placing a copy of the Front End on the hard drive of the appropriate users' PCs! The list of problems caused by this type of setup is almost endless, but include problems such as you're experiencing, as well as corruption with data loss and a variety of timing problems.

Even if it does not resolve your current problem, this must be done! I've seen many, many reports, over the years, of this scenario working for extended periods of time, without problems, but once trouble arises it becomes chronic until the situation is remedied! So correct this and see if it does away with your problem.

...Why can't I see the reports...
    When you say that you can't 'see' the Reports, do you mean that you cannot view them in Print Preview mode? Or do you mean that they don't show up in the Navigation Pane under 'Reports?' If they do show in the Navigation Pane, can you actually Print them? Is there anything being done at runtime that modifies the Reports? The Runtime version, like an MDE or ACCDE file, does not allow for Design Changes, and what Access considers or doesn't consider to be 'design changes' is not always what you would think! Are there Parameters, for instance, such as dates, that have to be entered before running a Report?

...For forms, there is a setting under Options / Current Database / Display Form that requires me to specify the form to display. Is there a similar setting for the reports...
    No; this Option does not mean whether the a Form can or cannot be displayed, it is used to select a Form that is to be displayed immediately upon the Database opening, without any user intervention.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

I can only see the form under the Navigation pane, but none of the reports. I didn't know they could be viewed under Print Preview... I'll try that tomorrow. I figured if I can see the form on the navigation pane, why not the reports?

I can't think of anything that is modifying the reports, although the reports are designed to filter for certain fields.

Currently the front and back ends are saved on different network drives. I will try saving the front end to a desktop and seeing what happens.

This may seem a silly question, but is the 'Report Tab' itself visible on the Navigation Pane?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

I attached two images to clarify. The first one shows the database with the form and two reports, before I convert the file extension to accdr. My understanding is that converting the file extension to accdr is all that's necessary to open the database in runtime mode.

The second shows the runtime version. All I can see here is the form.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Budget accdb.jpg   budget accdr.jpg  

I tried saving the file to my hard drive and I can still only see the form and not the reports. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Thought about using the packaging wizard, but I read somewhere else that I just needed to change the file extension to accdr?

Click on the down arrow beside 'Custom,' in the Navigation Pane, then tic 'Show All,' and see what happens.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

I can't even do that. If you look at the second image, that's all I can view.

try holding down the shift key while you open the db

I just tried twhat you said and it didn't work. I read on a different forum that you have to create a special ribbon to open reports and queries? I'm trying that right now but it seems to require writing code, which is totally new to me.

I wasn't sure. I've never used run time, but that works with an accde. My guess is that all your objects are there, but you can't get to them.

Try creating a switchboard with buttons to access all of your objects.

That actually worked quite well. Thanks for the tip.