Unanswered: Upgrade DB2 on Windows 2008

I got the following error when upgrading DB2 from v9.5 FP3a to v9.7 FP6:

"You do not have the authority to install DB2 Enterprise Server Edition, because this copy was installed by user: Administrator. Log on with that user account and try again."

I was using my personal account which is part of local admin group. To get around this error, I had to create a user Administrator (it didn't exist) and use it to upgrade DB2. I found the following APAR which mentions "On Windows Vista or Windows 2008, even if you are logged in as an administrator user you cannot upgrade a DB2 product that was installed as another user."

IBM IC62491: "YOU DO NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO INSTALL...LOG ON AS A USER WITH ADMINISTRATOR AUTHORITY AND TRY AGAIN" WHEN UPGRADING - United States

I can't seem to find where this is documented in the manual. Does anyone know why I have to use the same account as what was used to install db2 on Windows 2008?

Provided Answers: 11
    according the technote : this is resolved in 9.7 fp1
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

This APAR just corrected the error message - it displays the user name DB2 was installed with - "Administrator" in my case.

What I found in the manual regarding Windows 2008 is:

Code:
    On Windows 2008 and Windows Vista or higher, a non-administrator can perform an installation, but will be prompted for administrative credentials by the DB2 Setup wizard.
    IBM DB2 9.7 Information Center for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

Don't see any special requirements for upgrading db2 such as using the original account.

Another question related to DB2 on Windows 2008:

From the manual:
    Code:
    On Windows 2008, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, by default, applications start with only standard user rights, even if the user is a local administrator. To start an application with further privileges, you need to launch the command from a command window that is running with full administrative privileges. The DB2 installation process creates a shortcut called "Command window - Administrator" specifically for Windows 2008, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 users. It is recommended that you launch this shortcut if you want to run administrative commands.

If you do not have full administrative privileges and you attempt to perform DB2 administration tasks from a command prompt or graphical tool on Windows 2008, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, you can encounter various error messages implying that your access is denied and the tasks will fail to complete successfully.

One of the commands listed is db2pd - based on the above I need to use "Command window - Administrator" to execute this command. I was able to execute it from the regular db2 Command Window without any problems. I was able to start/stop the instance as well. Does it have anything to do with the fact that db2 was started using "Local System" instead of some account with local admin rights? Anyone knows?

Found http://www.dbforums.com/db2/1664087-...ivilleges.html

To open DB2 Command Window, I used db2cmd. The window db2cmd opens up says "Administrator: DB2 CLP - DB2COPY1"

Here is what I have on Win 2008:

C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB\BIN>dir db2cw*
    07/01/2012 06:07 PM 514 db2cw.bat
    07/01/2012 06:07 PM 519 db2cwadmin.bat

db2cw.bat contains:
    db2cmd db2setcp "%1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9"

db2cwadmin.bat contains:
    db2cmdadmin db2setcp "%1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9"

The window db2cw and db2cwadmin opens up is "Administrator: DB2 CLP - DB2COPY1" (looks the same as what db2cmd opens up). Unlike dgunas in the above mentioned thread, I can execute db2pd, db2stop/db2start from all CLP sessions. Not sure why...

When I open up Command prompt (Win prompt), the window title says "Administrator: Command Prompt".

In all cases, the window title starts with Administrator.... I'm logged in using my personal account, not Administrator. Where did Administrator come from?

hi

related to migration from v9.1 to v9.7 in aix, facing the below error

db2 migration failed from db29.1 to db29.7
    getting error in db2iupgrade command

db2ckupgrade was unsuccessful. Please look at logfile for more details.

DBI1126W Instance upgrade failed because one or more views defined in
    the database might impact database upgrade.

Explanation:

The db2iupgrade command calls the db2ckupgrade command. The instance
    upgrade fails if the db2ckupgrade command returns any errors.

The db2ckupgrade command has identified one or more views that are
    dependent on database entities that have changed. This might cause the
    UPGRADE DATABASE command to fail.

The identified views are listed in the db2ckupgrade log file.

User response:

Resolve the issue with the identified views or drop the views and then
    re-issue the re-issue the db2iupgrade command. After database upgrade,
    re-create the views that you dropped.

Alternatively, you can upgrade a test database that contains the
    identified views in a testing environment to determine if the UPGRADE
    DATABASE command will fail. If the database upgrade is successful,
    re-issue the db2iupgrade command with the -F parameter to force the
    upgrade.

---------

Could not able to find the db2ckupgrade logs files in /tmp or instance home directory , upgrade.log file generated in instance home with details saying db is inconsistent. db2 was stopped, ipclean on both nodes

any idea.

thks
    paul

Provided Answers: 11
    paul : do not mix your problems in entries of other with different problems..
    always create a new entry..
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Execute db2ckupgrade manually as per:

If it comes back clean and your v9.7 FP level < FP5, then you could be hitting this APAR: IBM IC74024: "DBI1126W ONE OR MORE VIEWS MAY AFFECT DATABASE UPGRADE" IS NOT ACCURATE FOR THE CASE WHERE ERRORS COME BACK FROM DB2CKUPGRADE. - United States

Make sure db2ckupgrade comes back clean before using -F option.

If this doesn't help, create a new thread.