How did you end up in the database field?

Hi all,

I am currently a student pursuing a degree in Management Information Systems. I am interested in the field of database administration. From my understanding, a lot of people have sort of just evolved into those roles from other IT jobs. So my question to you is, How did you get into the field of working with databases? Where did you first start?

on the wrong server
    It was the late nineties and I had a lot of college debt and a freshly minted political science degree that helped me get another line cooking job right after school. I used to listen to the Howard Stern show in the morning at the time and during every commercial break there were commercials promising $100K plus a year jobs in the NOVA-DC-MD area. So I just started reading and tinkering, and I financed a computer, and then I finally fooled someone inot givining me an entry level programming job. The DBA at the shop was a pregnant diabetic. She went on bed rest and suddenly her job was mine, and when she came back, she never really got it back. We made her into a business analyst or something.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Was hired by a division of AT&T to perform statistical analysis of data, and quickly realized that this division had no actual data to analyze. So I got a copy of MS Access and created what I would later learn is called a data warehouse.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman "sqlblindman"

Dallas, Texas
    Graduated from college with my BSCIS in 1986 and began mainframe database programming for a large insurance company. Switched over to client/server database programming in 1996 when I worked for Intel. Still enjoy my chosen profession after 28.5 years.

Toronto, Canada
    Had my first co-op work term as a DBA trainee. Liked it and continued on the same path. Became a DBA instead of a programmer after graduating from college.

221B Baker St.
    When database systems began gaining popularity (in my case the late 60's), the developers also performed the admin functions. Later, database administration became a separate, full-time position, not just part of the "regular job".