Assistance with Multiselect Fields

I have just recently discovered this site after first ‘discovering’ Brilliant Database. I have no database experience but have quite a bit of knowledge with MicroSoft Excel. I have developed a few programs using Excel and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). As a test, I wanted to convert one of these Excel-based programs over to a database – this search led me to the ‘Brilliant Database’ software. I downloaded the Ultimate edition yesterday and, following the tutorials, added some basic folders. This software is very impressive.

Now, my question… Is it possible to set up a Multiselect field like a drop-down list (i.e., use another record to populate the choices with a multiselect field)? A drop-down list can be easily achieved that has all the information from another record but it only allows making one choice – I need to have the ability to choose as few as one or any combination of the available choices. Any help will be appreciated.

Show a sample or create sample database and describe what you want. I think it can be done with many-to-many relational field.

MacHeuS,
    Here are a couple of screenshots. I have a record with a list of all of an organization's training courses - I was successful with this and the record is called 'Courses' (first screenshot). Next, I wanted to list all of the positions within my organization (Accountant, Safety Director, Machine Operator, etc...) and select which training courses are required for each unique position. In the second screenshot I show my attempt at doing that but in using the drop-down (using a list based on the 'Courses' folder), only a single selection can be made. I need to have the ability to select multiple training courses from a list (seemingly, the multiselect would work ideally for this but I cannot find how to link a record to multiselect). I toyed with he many-to-many relational field but I do not quite yet understand the proper usage at his point. Some positions may have only one training course required whereas other positions may require several courses. I could setup many individual drop-down lists but this would look tacky - selecting multiple choices from a single list is the preferred method. Can you help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen shot BD.jpg   screen shot BD2.jpg  

Can you send me the file? Try on file.

MacHeuS,
    How do I send the file? It looks as if I need to convert it to a zip file but that I do not know how to do. This is my first attempt so it may not be right... If, in the rare event my attempt at zipping and sending actually worked, ignore the 'Job Tasks' folder because I was just experimenting - the actual file that I need the multiselect list to appear on is the 'Jobs' folder (it should be populated from the 'Courses' folder).
    Attached Files Attached Files

You must send "12 3 2012 dbapp.bbd" file to me. You may have this file in your My Documents folder.

MacHeuS,
    Sorry, I see the file that you need but I have absolutely no idea on how to send it. I tried attaching it but it comes back as an invalid file type. I am at a loss on what to do in order to get it to you... I am guessing that my earlier attempt at zipping the proper files failed?

I believe that the answer I need already exists on the Brilliant Database website (under 'Support/Study', 'Tutorial Databases'). A topic of 'many-to-many' appears with some additional topics at the bottom at selecting 'many-to-many'. It sounds as if number 6 within the 'Search results for many-to-many' may be the solution but I am unable to open it. I get the following message: "This file is used by another program or is read only. Please, close the program and try again. Path/File access error."

If there is. Try to right click file, in "send to" menu, select "compressed (zipped) folder" option. It will create zipped file. Send that file here.

(my English not enough to describe well)

MacHeuS,
    I followed your directions - please try this one.

Try this. is it useful?

MacHeuS,
    Yes!!!! Thank you - that is GREAT.
    Daryl G

MacHeuS,
    I have spent hours this morning trying to replicate what you did (as I need similar functionality for another folder). Needless to say, I have not been able to successfully do this... I have looked at every option, at least the ones I could find, on your earlier creation under the Design! button. Could you explain how you did that?

Update: I spent a few more hours trying to recreate what you did in another folder. I compared each screen to what you had done earlier and when I preview it within Design! it looks great but when when I 'Return to Database' nothing appears on the form (that section is blank?). What is the trick to this?

Update 2: Just figured it out... finally!
    Last edited by fireant911; 12-05-12 at 16:46. Reason: update on my efforts

Need to work harder