Unanswered: All space in a CHAR(9) column

Greetings all. Im querying a DB2 database on an IBM zOS. That's about all the specs I know about the mainframe side. I am using Razor SQL on my Windows 7 machine, and have an instance of DB2 9.7 installed (I think this may be what is referred to as 'LUW'?) Anyhow, there is a column defined as CHAR(9) not null, that has many values that appear to be nothing but space. If I do SELECT HEX(MyColumn) I get '404040404040404040' for many rows, which makes me think there are nine EBCDIC spaces stored. However, If I do SELECT HEX(MyColumn) WHERE MyColumn = '', I get the same thing. I'm confused as to how this is being processed. If I only supply '' in the WHERE clause, and I am thinking this would be the same as 0x40, the results would seem to indicate that 0x40 = 0x404040404040404040. How can this be? Does DB2 treat instances of all spaces the same, no matter how long they are? Also, someone told me the spaces stored do not take up any space on disk, but I don't get it. Wouldn't the disk still have to store the binary values of the spaces? I'm not sure if I am making sense, as mainframe stuff is foreign to me, so I apoligize if I have not supplied sufficient information for someone to answer my question. Thank you.

Greg

You can do something like
    WHERE
    MyColumn = AnotherColumn
    and
    Replace(MyColumn, ' ', '@') = Replace(AnotherColumn, ' ', '@')

Lenny
    Last edited by Lenny77; 12-05-12 at 10:00.

Quote Originally Posted by gsnidow View Post
    Does DB2 treat instances of all spaces the same, no matter how long they are?
    Yes. Unlike some other databases, DB2 is a civilized product. This feature has been proven to lower suicide rates among programmers.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsnidow View Post
    Also, someone told me the spaces stored do not take up any space on disk
    Not true for CHAR. It is true for VARCHAR, but there is extra 4 byte overhead for a VARCHAR column for DB2 to store the starting postion and length of the data in the row.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Provided Answers: 1
    You may want to try reading manuals, as it all should be explained there. When comparing character values of unequal length, DB2 LUW will pad the shorter value with spaces. I suspect it might be the case in DB2 Z as well.

While you're reading manuals, you can also check the difference between the CHAR and VARCHAR, that should answer your other question.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.