Help!! With IF Dcount for Checking Duplicates

Hey guys,
    I have built an awards tracker that we have 6 different people inputing awards into. With this many people involved I have written an IF Dcount( statement to try to prevent duplicate entries. I have gotten it to do ALMOST what I want, but still havent got it perfect. The following is where I am at on the code...

If DCount("*", "tblAwardsLog", "[PO #] & LastName & DateInitiated = '" & Me.[PO #] & Me.LastName & Me.DateInitiated & "'") > 0 Then
    DoCmd.CancelEvent
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmRecordExists"
    End If

If DCount("*", "tblAwardsLog", "LastName & Left(FirstName,3) & Recommended & DateInitiated & Nz([PO #]) = '" & Me.LastName & Left(Me.FirstName, 3) & Me.Recommended & Me.DateInitiated & Nz(Me.[PO #]) & "'") > 0 Then
    DoCmd.CancelEvent
    End If

If DCount("*", "tblAwardsLog", "LastName & Left(FirstName,3) & Recommended & DateInitiated = '" & Me.LastName & Left(Me.FirstName, 3) & Me.Recommended & Me.DateInitiated & "'") > 0 Then
    DoCmd.CancelEvent
    Cancel = True
    End If

The problem is if I don't add a [PO #] when I first add the record, then I try to go back to add a PO # it tells me the record already exists. The fields I need checked is [LastName], [Left(FirstName, 3)], [Recommended], [DateInitiated], [PO #]

would redesigning the tables to include a primary key which prevented duplicate rows be a smarter call?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Well healdem it is possible to have these show up many times, just not at the same time on the same record twice

?
    proper data design should eliminate duplicates
    if you cannot do that then youneed to look at your stateemtns
    Im suspicious of
    Code:
    If DCount("*", "tblAwardsLog", "[PO #] & LastName & DateInitiated = '" & Me.[PO #] & Me.LastName & Me.DateInitiated & "'") > 0 Then
    DoCmd.CancelEvent
    End If
    i woudl have expected it to be somethign simialr to:-
    Code:
    If DCount("*", "tblAwardsLog", "[PO #] = " & Me.[PO #] & " AND LastName '" & Me.LastName & "' AND " DateInitiated = " & me.DateInitiated ) > 0 Then
    DoCmd.CancelEvent
    End If
    you may need to bracke the dateinitiated with # to denote its a date. you may also ned to specify the date as a US date mm/dd/yyyy
    eg:-
    Code:
    ..." AND dateinitiated = #" & format(me.dateinitiated,"mm/dd/yyyy") & "#"....

Solution to Problem

Thanks healdem for your timely response, what I did was put..

Code:
    If Me.NewRecord Then

If DCount("*", "tblAwardsLog", "LastName & Left(FirstName,3) & Recommended & DateInitiated = '" & Me.LastName & Left(Me.FirstName, 3) & Me.Recommended & Me.DateInitiated & "'") > 0 Then
    DoCmd.CancelEvent

End If
    End If
    This allowed it to check the fields necessary for duplicates, but only apply to new records instead of the ones I go back to edit with certain information.

are you creating a primary key which is the name, first 3 letters of the forename and dateinitiated as a single value in the DB....

I sincerely hope not......