Bizarre problem with OCS-15 on Linux -- not reading interfaces file

Hello!

I compiled sybtcl on RHEL-5.7 (64bit) by hand. The extension links with the sole library -lsybdb64.

The new extension loads into Tcl-interpreter without a problem, but refuses to connect -- to anything: Server name not found in interface file.

Nothing unusual, huh? Newbies mess up their interfaces files all the time, right?

Well, for one Sybase's own isql continues to work -- for the same server-name on the same shell-prompt (thus, using the same environment variables).

But what's really bizarre is that, according to strace, nothing even attempts to open an interfaces file! If I strace isql-invocation, I see it opening the file up:
    Code:
    open("/opt/sybase/interfaces", O_RDONLY) = 6
    access("/opt/sybase/interfaces", W_OK) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
    stat64("/opt/sybase/interfaces", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=2317, ...}) = 0
    But, when I strace the sybtcl-loading tclsh-process, there is no mention of interfaces-file until the error message...

The same script -- using the same credentials -- connects without a hitch from a FreeBSD system, where sybtcl is compiled against FreeTDS, rather than Sybase/OCS...

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by teterin; 12-06-12 at 23:00.
    If you ever back up Sybase, you want this backup-server plugin.

Stupid, stupid, stupid... I invoked sybconnect with one extra argument for "encoding" (iso1). But -- and this is documented in sybtcl(n) -- that argument is interpreted as the interfaces-file (the encoding goes after that).

FreeTDS cheerfully ignores the interfaces-parameter, apparently, which mislead me into thinking, my code is Ok.

Never mind anybody...

BTW, if you are interested in an RPM spec-file for sybtcl, drop me a note...
    If you ever back up Sybase, you want this backup-server plugin.