Unanswered: Db2 excessive logging

I have a system at a site running DB2 9.1 which has been running for years. It receives update TCP/IP messages and records them in a database.

Now, in the past 2 weeks, the log files for this site have exploded. Normally log files are cleaned at the end of the day. In this case, however, the log files stay and within 1 hour I have 40 log files with 500 megabytes of storage. This is quite excessive for this site.

I'm investigating the possibility that a remote system is sending excessive messages. But might there be something wrong with DB2? I've heard that excessive logging can occur if the database is not able to commit its transactions -- what would cause that?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    But might there be something wrong with DB2? I've heard that excessive logging can occur if the database is not able to commit its transactions -- what would cause that?
    The log volume generated _per unit of time_ depends only on the amount of changes your applications do to the data.

It can happen, however, that a long-running transaction that changes data but does not commit will prevent DB2 from reusing or archiving log files, which may lead to the accumulation of files in the active log directory.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Thank you .

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Online-reorg is a suspect as well.
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes