Network / Homegroup Sharing

Hi,

Needing a dig out on whether or not I should be using Network & Homegroup for sharing ?? Here's what I've got:-

I have 3 x PC all running Windows 7, all running off the same router. Each PC has 2 users. Each of the 2 users per PC are a manager and member of staff. (they share the PC). I use PC1 as my library for everything for the business to saved on, so all users need Access, but I want to restrict what the "staff" can see.

PC1: User = Manager1 and Staff1
    This PC holds the BE of the dbase as well as shared folders

PC2: Users = Manager2 and Staff2
    This PC has FE which is linked to PC1's BE

PC3: Users = Manager3 and Staff3
    This PC has FE which is linked to PC1's BE

At the moment, when I click on "Computer", I can see all three PC's are part of NETWORK. I can also see under "Homegroup" that all three PC's are part of the same homegroup.

The way I want it to work is that managers can see everything, and staff can only see what they've been given permission to see. Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Graeme

If there are any even moderately computer savvy users, they can see/change data as they see fit. That is a very different problem to manage than non-technical users.

Because each PC has both managers (no limit) and staff (restricted), the only way to manage this would be via application logins and writing the app so that it is aware of whatever restrictions you want to apply. In other words, your app needs to know who is logged into the app right now, and what that login is permitted to see and do.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks Pat.

I might for now stick to 1 PC = 1 USER. There does not look like any easy solution.

Graeme

Another possibility would be to create two different apps, one app for managers and one app for staff. This can still be challenging depending on how you envison the limitations working.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I think I'll just have to compromise, I'm now thinking I'll have 1 x PC with all the business data on it, joined to a workgroup with the second PC, sharing everything. (Manager PC)

The 3rd PC will be on the same network, but only sharing certain of PC1's folders. (Staff PC)