What Do You Use Brilliant Database For?

I am curious about the usage and application of Brilliant Database by the individual's that frequent this site. There appears to be quite a few people viewing the questions so I would infer that there are many people currently using this software. Please share what you are doing with this program as I, and probably many others, would be really interested to hear about how people are using this product.

I just started exploring BD last week and can think of many applications for this software... unfortunately, my skills in creating databases have not caught up with my imagination! Again, please share how you are using it.
    Thanks,
    Daryl G

Okay, I'll start. My initial attempt is in developing a tool to track an organization's training. I have already done this in EXCEL and it does some really amazing things (thanks to 100+ pages of Visual Basic for Applications coding). Since EXCEL is not technically a database I thought that the Brilliant Database platform would be ideally suited for this... yet, I am having difficulties with seemingly simply queries.

Additionally, my wife is a physician and she became very excited about the possibility of creating a database specific to her needs. Currently, there are several versions of Electronic Medical Records available to the hospitals/clinics but these, according to my wife, appear to be developed my non-medical people and are lacking in many vital areas. She sees a lot of advantages of being able to customize a program to her exact needs.

If I can master this as some of you appear to have (MacHeuS to name one!), I would love to delve in an create a patient tracking system for my wife but that time is certainly not now. I am struggling with those darn queries...

I suppose that my real intention for my original question on this thread is to see if what I am trying to do is even possible with this program. I hope to get some replies from the folks here soon!

There are a number of people that use and seem to love the Brilliant Database.

I've tried multiple times to get any response at all from the folks running the Brilliant website, but have gotten zero response. I don't even have any indication that my emails have ever been opened or my voicemails have ever been played. As far as I can tell, the product is totally dead and there is zero support of any kind.

This is a shame, since the people that use the product seem to love it. Even if it was limited in scope, when a product has a passionate user base that counts for a lot but no amount of passion can keep a product alive if the organization behind that product has died.

If Brilliant gets even minimal support from its sales organization, it could become a respectable database product. If the organization is as dead as it seems to be, there are lots of other database products that ought to be able to address your needs.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I use brilliant database for all manner of different things. We already had a thread running where some people posted information on what they were doing.

You can see my post here including screen shots.

CLICK HERE

Additionally, my wife is a physician and she became very excited about the possibility of creating a database specific to her needs. Currently, there are several versions of Electronic Medical Records available to the hospitals/clinics but these, according to my wife, appear to be developed my non-medical people and are lacking in many vital areas. She sees a lot of advantages of being able to customize a program to her exact needs.
    Indeed, there is quite a lot you can do to improve the software in that field as what they have right now is very unfriendly. It's a near impossible market to crack though.

Lots of red tape to get through, especially if you want to get software into public hospitals. It's near impossible in fact.

Regards
    James

Hi Pat.

I've tried multiple times to get any response at all from the folks running the Brilliant website, but have gotten zero response. I don't even have any indication that my emails have ever been opened or my voicemails have ever been played. As far as I can tell, the product is totally dead and there is zero support of any kind.
    Seems I got lucky.
    See my post here

Fingers crossed here v10 does indeed get released in a few days.

Regards
    James

I use for my work. Inventory tracking, order tracking, label printing, follow-up technical drawings and information. Calculation of work orders and procurement of raw materials etc.

Standard programs are not flexible. Before i was using Excel, is not enough. It can do very useful things with Vbasic but at the end its only table not database.

Examine all of these examples to learn before you start the program I would recommend. To find out how I did it. If not, you may have to start all over again someday.

I can not tell more because my English is not enough. And this is why sometimes I can not be more helpful. Google Translate is very difficult to deal with.

(Burada hi Trk yok mu arkadaş yaaa)
    Last edited by MacHeuS; 12-10-12 at 17:21.

MacHeuS, your English (whether written as English or translated by machine) is far better than my Turkish! I'm amazed at what you do here at DBForums considering that English is not your native language. Thank you!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I must agree with Pat Phelan, Macheus work is definitely amazing here in the forum! Thank you again buddy!

-Trinidad resident.