Unanswered: Upgrade from 7.2 to 9.7

Hi There,

we have plan upgrade our database from 7.2 (32 bit aix 4.3) to db2 9.7 (64 bit aix 7.1).

as you know we have option go to 8.2 and then take a offline backup and then restore to database on new server with db2 9.7 and aix 7.1

my question is:

is it possible use db2look/db2move and directly go to db2 9.7 from 7.2 ? it means just move data and nothing else.

please advise.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post

is it possible use db2look/db2move and directly go to db2 9.7 from 7.2 ? it means just move data and nothing else.
    Yes, it is possible.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    Yes, it is possible.
    Thank you n_i for quick response,

which one do you you recommend( upgrade to 8.2 and then go to 9.7 or directly go to 9.7 and just move data0 ?, database is small (120 GB) and I need change raw containers(DMS TBS ) to file containers as well.

Provided Answers: 1
    I don't know your situation so I can't recommend anything, but I would choose db2look/db2move, if only to avoid the hassle of installing another version of DB2.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

If I had to upgrade a db from v7 to v9.7, I would use backup/restore to upgrade from v7 to v8 and then from v8 to v9.7. You can change DMS from raw to file during restore.

Thank you n_i for quick response,

which one do you you recommend( upgrade to 8.2 and then go to 9.7 or directly go to 9.7 and just move data0 ?, database is small (120 GB) and I need change raw containers(DMS TBS ) to file containers as well.
    I would definitely go with db2look/db2move if you have choice.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Why would you go with db2look/db2move? I think it's easier and faster to use backup/restore.

• Tablespaces created before 9.7 cannot be reduced in size as easily (harder to lower high water mark).
    • More control over tablespace creation options (automatic storage, etc).
    • A lot safer in case there are other things that I don't remember or don't know about.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    Why would you go with db2look/db2move? I think it's easier and faster to use backup/restore.
    On the short term: you are right
    On the long term : you are going to regret that
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes

Could you please explain more ?

Quote Originally Posted by dr_te_z View Post
    On the short term: you are right
    On the long term : you are going to regret that
    Marcus has valid points why migration from v7 should be done using db2move, but I don't really like db2move and would do anything to stay away from it. In the old but good days, db2move was putting all tables in one default tablespace and I remember some lob related issues when using db2move. This has probably been addressed in v9.x.

Also, long term, got to leave some mess for the next DBA I'm still cleaning up the mess I inherited.

Thank you all for your comments

As far as I know db2move will care about CLOB and BLOB columns as well.

Could you please explain more ?
    Compare it with building a house. You've got the fundament (that is english as well I hope) and then you build the rest: doors windows (NOT microsoft ) paint, a kitchen and so on.
    Well I like to see the database installation/creation tablespaces and bufferpools as the fundament.
    The doors/windows/kitchen as tables, indexes constraints and so on.
    When you restore a database, you restore the whole house and you inherit the old fundament as well (raw data devices? SMS tablespaces?).
    When you load data you build your house on a new fundament. All the new goodies (automatic storage, stmm, compression and so on) can be configured.
    And yes, you'll pay a downtime price for that.
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by dr_te_z View Post
    When you restore a database, you restore the whole house and you inherit the old fundament as well (raw data devices? SMS tablespaces?). When you load data you build your house on a new fundament. All the new goodies (automatic storage, stmm, compression and so on) can be configured.
    I think older homes and databases were built better. New look good on paper, but this is just cosmetics. Their internals aren't well built and some of the new "goodies" just add more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    I think older homes and databases were built better. New look good on paper, but this is just cosmetics. Their internals aren't well built and some of the new "goodies" just add more problems.
    True, bit of a pessimistic approach, but true.
    On the other hand: when you decide to go for a certain release/fixpack, you got to GO for it (after all: you've paid for it (I'm Dutch )).
    - Scott Hayes