Thread: DBA access

Unanswered: DBA access

As a DBA:

To perform tasks that require sysadm/dbadm: do you login using db2 instance owner id or using your personal id and then sudo to db2 instance owner id?

To perform tasks that require root: do you have full root privilege or privilege to only execute certain commands?

Provided Answers: 5
    I think it is going to depend on the company and it policies.

Here we are supposed to sign in with our personal account, then su/sudo to either the instance owner or root depending on what we have to do. This way the OS security system logs who is using root or the instance.

Andy

Same here - sudo to instance owner or root. Do you get full root access or access to certain commands? Do you have root access all the time or only when you need to upgrade db2?

sudo gives me full root access. I find it very useful, but I don't think this is the right way to do it. I can limit myself to only execute certain commands in /etc/sudoers or request root access when I need to upgrade db2 and then remove it.

Many places only give DBA's sudo root on programs in directory /opt/ibm/db2/V9.7x/instance
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Makes sense. If I were SA, I would not want DBA's to have full root access.