Thread: UPDATE issues

UPDATE issues

This used to work and suddenly it stopped and gives the following error:

Code:
    You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE stock_available.id_product = product.id_product AND product.supplier_refer' at line 1

Code:
    $handle = fopen("GeneratedList.csv", "r+");
    while (($data = fgetcsv($handle, 100000, ",")) !== FALSE) {
        $num = count($data);
        for ($c=0; $c < $num; $c++) {
            if ($c = 1) {
    			$supplier_reference = $data[($c-1)];
    		} 
            if ($c = 2) {
    			$quantity = $data[($c-1)];
    			mysql_query("UPDATE stock_available, product SET stock_available.quantity = $quantity WHERE stock_available.id_product = product.id_product AND product.supplier_reference = $supplier_reference")
    				or die(mysql_error());
    			mysql_query("UPDATE stock_available, product_attribute SET stock_available.quantity = $quantity WHERE stock_available.id_product_attribute = product_attribute.id_product_attribute AND product_attribute.supplier_reference = $supplier_reference")
    				or die(mysql_error());
            }
        }
    }
    fclose($handle);
    It's possible I did something silly.

Any and all help appreciated.

"UPDATE stock_available, product SET stock_available.quantity = $quantity WHERE stock_available.id_product = product.id_product AND product.supplier_reference = $supplier_reference")
    doesn't seem right to me

I'd expect UPDATE MyTable SET blah di blah

Guessign from the rest of the SQL its likely to be
    "UPDATE stock_available SET stock_available.quantity = $quantity WHERE stock_available.id_product = product.id_product AND product.supplier_reference = $supplier_reference")
    doesn't seem right to me

When debugging SQL i've alwasy found it easier to view the actual SQL being sent to the SQL engine, as opposed to the code that's creating the SQL. check that their is a sane value in $quantity (and for that matter in $supplier_reference

Im not to certain how you will identify the product, you will probably need to JOIN the stock_available table to the product table
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I suspect that $quantity does not have a value and your left with SET stock_available.quantity = WHERE ...

Your SQL for the update is correct.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com

Thanks to both of you for the help.

It turns out I had 2 things screwy.

1) I had somehow saved the csv file with a ; delimiter. Apparently PHP and /or MySQL doesn't like that much. Once I changed it to , all was fine.

2) The $supplier_reference variable can also contain letters so I had to do this:

mysql_query("UPDATE stock_available, product SET stock_available.quantity = $quantity WHERE stock_available.id_product = product.id_product AND product.supplier_reference = '$supplier_reference'")

It updates correctly now.

Cheers.